Karnataka to re-impose ban on endosulfanApril 30th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Belgaum (Karnataka), April 30 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa Saturday said the government will re-impose within two days the ban on use of pesticide Endosulfan in the state.
“We will promulgate an ordinance within two days to ban endosulfan’s use in the state as it is harmful to health of the people,” Yeddyurappa told reporters in this north Karnataka town, about 500 kms from Bangalore.
Karnataka had Feb 17 banned Endosulfan use for 60 days. The state has been demanding a nation-wide ban.
Endosulfan has been extensively used in Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada and Udupi districts on the west coast to protect cashew crop from diseases.
While imposing the 60-day ban Feb 17, the Karnataka cabinet had said that aerial spraying of the insecticide had resulted in various health problems such as children suffering physical deformities and mental retardation, skin cancer and epilepsy.
- Karnataka minister takes on Pawar on endosulfan - Apr 18, 2011
- Will ban Endosulfan if found harmful: Supreme Court - May 11, 2011
- Karnataka to ban Endosulfan use - Feb 17, 2011
- Sushma Swaraj backs endosulfan ban - Apr 28, 2011
- Endosulfan pesticide affects numerous families in Kerala - May 01, 2011
- Kerala CM Achuthanandan on day-long fast for ban on endosulfan - Apr 25, 2011
- Aound 60 percent polling in Karnataka district polls (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Advani yatra: BJP non-committal on Yeddyurappa's role - Oct 13, 2011
- Ban endosulfan: Environmentalists - Apr 18, 2011
- 17 Karnataka districts vote Friday in panchayat polls - Dec 30, 2010
- Endosulfan ban: Supreme Court issues notice (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Karnataka to fund three rail projects - Jul 06, 2012
- Kerala cancels licence to endosulfan factory - May 27, 2011
- Supreme Court permits export of endosulfan formulation (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Supreme Court permits export of endosulfan formulation - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: aerial spraying, belgaum, diseases, endosulfan, epilepsy, health problems, insecticide, kannada, karnataka chief minister, mental retardation, pesticide, physical deformities, skin cancer, udupi, west coast