Karnataka minister quits, chief minister says noJune 23rd, 2012 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 23 (IANS) Karnataka’s Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Kumar Saturday resigned on charges that he took a housing plot in the city violating laws governing allotment of state-owned land.
Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda rejected the resignation saying: “Kumar need not quit as the charges have to be first investigated.”
“Acceptance of Kumar’s resignation does not rise now as I have to first verify the charges and consult officials concerned as the allotment was made under a particular (special) category to which he was entitled as a lawmaker (legislator),” Gowda told reporters at his official residence here.
An official of the chief minister’s office confirmed to IANS that Kumar had submitted his resignation to the chief minister at his home office, while Gowda was away.
“Kumar came to the chief minister’s official residence in a private car and left soon after leaving the resignation letter in the chief minister’s home office. The chief minister, however…decided to refer it to the department concerned for an official enquiry,” the official said.
Kumar’s resignation came in light of a local tabloid (Bangalore Mirror) expose, which highlighted how the state-run Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) allotted a prime plot measuring 4,000 square feet under ‘G’ category in upscale RMV II stage to the minister when he was a lawmaker from the Rajajinagar assembly segment in the northern suburb of the city.
- Karnataka minister quits over land row, CM rejects (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Karnataka law minister withdraws resignation - Jun 26, 2012
- Shettar to be Karnataka CM Thursday, jockeying for power on (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Jockeying for power in Karnataka delays leadership change - Jul 10, 2012
- Shettar to take oath as Karnataka CM Thursday, power struggle continues (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Gowda quits as Karnataka CM (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP emissary in Bangalore to save government (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Sadananda Gowda takes over as Karnataka CM (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Four held over murder of Karnataka officer - May 21, 2012
- Gowda resigns, Shettar stakes claim, faces ministry-making hurdle (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Gowda quits as Karnataka CM - Jul 11, 2012
- Karnataka gets cabinet; ex-minister jailed, Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy summoned (Night Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Nine Karnataka ministers withdraw resignations (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Karnataka BJP's land scandals embroil RSS affiliates - Nov 02, 2011
- Karnataka officer pays with life for exposing land scam - May 20, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, allotment, bangalore, chief minister, gowda, june 23, lawmaker, legislator, mirror, northern suburb, parliamentary affairs, prime plot, private car, resignation letter, segment, square feet, suresh kumar