Karnataka High Court allows women to work in barsSeptember 24th, 2008 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 24 (IANS) The Karnataka High Court Wednesday allowed women to work in bars and pubs but with adequate security, thus quashing the state government ban on their working at such places where liquor is served.Justice D.V. Shylendra Kumar said the rule 9 of the Karnataka Excise Act 1965 that prohibits women from serving liquor at public places was “unconstitutional” and therefore “unenforceable”.
“Rule 9 (1) of the excise rules of 1967, framed under the act is ‘ultra vires’ and unenforceable. The sub-section of the act is unconstitutional, being violative of Articles 14, 15, 16, 21 and 39 of the constitution,” Kumar said.
The judicial order was in response to two writ petitions filed by a group of bar owners and women employees. The petitioners sought relief from the provisions of the act, prohibiting women from being employed in bars and pubs across the state.
According to the act, employing women to serve liquor was “unconstitutional”.
The judge also referred to a similar ruling by the Supreme Court last year, permitting women to be employed as bar tenders, with adequate safety and security to protect their life and property. The band had left thousands in the state jobless.
- Karnataka does not intend to hike drinking age to 25 - Jun 16, 2011
- Women's groups give thumbs up to female bartenders - Sep 26, 2008
- At 21, you can serve liquor in Delhi, but won't be served - Oct 05, 2010
- Women can serve alcohol: Karnataka High Court - Sep 24, 2008
- Some sobering new rules for city's drinkers - Oct 05, 2010
- Apex court pulls up Karnataka judge for indiscipline - Jun 15, 2010
- Couples in Gurgaon bars to prove who they are - Mar 21, 2012
- On New Year eve, pub city Bangalore to groove past midnight - Dec 28, 2009
- Maharashtra raises age bar for drinking alcohol (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- No mandatory gallows for killing with illegal arms: Apex court (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings - Aug 27, 2012
- Haryana police recover 1,062 liquor cases - Apr 22, 2011
- Pub-city Bangalore to go microbrewing for beer - Jan 18, 2011