Karnataka declares two-day mourning for Hangal, funeral WednesdayJuly 21st, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 21 (IANS) The Karnataka government has declared a two-day state mourning for legendary Hindustani vocalist Gangubai Hangal, who died Tuesday at the age of 97. The Padma Vibhushan awardee will be accorded a state funeral Wednesday.
The two houses of the state legislature were adjourned for the day after paying glowing tributes to Hangal, who died in Hubli town, about 480 km from here.
Chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa, presiding officers of the assembly and council - Jagadish Shettar and Veeranna Mattikatti, respectively, and leader of the Congress opposition Siddaramiah flew to Hubli in the afternoon to pay their respects to the vocalist.
Hangal’s body has been kept at Indira Glass House located in a park in the heart of Hubli for people to pay their respects. Hundreds of her admirers lined up at the park to pay homage. Her funeral will be held in the north Karnataka town Wednesday.
The singer had pledged her eyes for donation before her death following cardiac and pulmonary problems.
Hangal’s husband Gurunath Kaulgi pre-deceased her. She also lost her only daughter Krishna, also a Hindustani vocalist, in 2003.
Hangal is survived by two sons and seven grandchildren.
The singer’s grandson Mahesh Hangal said: “She leaves behind a rich legacy of unadulterated music. She did not succumb to the pressure of commercialising Hindustani classical music. She retained the traditional style.”
“There are millions of followers of Gangubai across the world. She continues to live in their hearts. We all are saddened by her death. Though a great loss to the family, we are overwhelmed by the response,” said another grandson Manoj Hangal.
- Gangubai Hangal given state funeral Wednesday - Jul 22, 2009
- President, PM condole death of Gangubai Hangal - Jul 21, 2009
- Gangubai Hngal - the rising octave that transcended barriers (Obituary) - Jul 21, 2009
- Classical singer Gangubai Hangal dead - Jul 21, 2009
- Classical vocalist Gangubai Hangal passes away - Jul 21, 2009
- Hindustani classical vocalist Gangubai Hangal dead (Lead) - Jul 21, 2009
- Gangubai ushered in women's power in music: cultural fraternity (Lead) - Jul 21, 2009
- Cultural fraternity mourns death of Gangubai Hangal - Jul 21, 2009
- President Patil condoles death of vocalist Gangubai Hangal - Jul 21, 2009
- Reliving the music and memories of Mallikarjun Mansur - Sep 26, 2010
- Bhimsen Joshi: Legend, music maestro and lover of fast cars too (Obituary) - Jan 24, 2011
- Thousands bid tearful farewell to Hindustani music doyen Gavai (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Showing up not the only way to show respect: Ghai - Aug 28, 2012
- A.K. Hangal cremated - Aug 26, 2012
- Chindodi Leela passes away - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: admirers, bangalore, chief minister, glass house, glowing tributes, hindustani classical music, homage, indira, jagadish, karnataka government, krishna, mahesh, north karnataka, padma vibhushan, pulmonary problems, rich legacy, state funeral, state legislature, traditional style, vocalist