Karmapa Lama to spend over two weeks in USApril 10th, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, April 10 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Karmapa Lama, who has got permission to visit the US, will remain there for over two weeks starting next month. “His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, will visit the US from May 15 through June 2,” said the Karmapa Lama’s spokesman here Thursday.
He will visit New York, Woodstock, Colorado, Seattle, Washington and talk on Buddhist teachings at these places, said the official.
China may not be happy with the permission given by the Indian government to Karmapa Lama to visit a foreign country, for the first time since he fled Tibet and sought refuge in India some eight years ago.
The Karmapa is the only major monk reincarnate recognised by both the Dalai Lama and China. He is head of the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism.
This will be the first foreign visit in eight years for the Karmapa, 22, who lives in Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile in northern India.
His office has described his proposed visit to the US as “historic” and said that the Tibetan community was highly “appreciative” for the permission granted to him by the Indian government.
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- India says no to US tour of Tibetan monk - Jul 15, 2010
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- 11 years after his escape, Karmapa remains as controversial - Jan 29, 2011
- High ranking lama arrested in Delhi - Jun 15, 2012
- Karmapa prays for happiness, peace - Jan 01, 2012
- Karmapa not a Chinese spy, says Beijing - Jan 31, 2011
- Devotees stand by Karmapa, throng monastery - Jan 31, 2011
- Currency case: Petition against Karmapa dismissed - Apr 25, 2012
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate scans records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Karmapa concerned over unrest in Tibet (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- Karmapa concerned over self-immolation by monks - Nov 09, 2011
- I am not a Chinese spy: Karmapa - May 02, 2011
- Himachal court summons Karmapa over currency row - Feb 16, 2012