Karbi militants behind forest officials’ abduction: MinisterMarch 5th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, March 5 (IANS) Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain Monday confirmed it was the Karbi militant outfit Karbi Peoples’ Liberation Tigers (KPLT) that was behind the abduction of two senior forest officials in Karbi Anglong district last week.
Although police have suspected the hand of the KPLT in the incident, the outfit Sunday denied their involvement.
“Police have confirmed evidence of the involvement of the KPLT in the abduction,” said Hussain Monday in the state assembly while replying to opposition queries.
Police and security forces have been doing their best to secure the release of the two senior forest officials, he added.
“We are not going to believe what the militants have said. Police and security forces, who are conducting the search and rescue operations in and around the district, have evidence of KPLT’s hand behind the abduction,” Hussain said.
A delegation of forest officials led by Chief Conservator of Forest Abhijit Rabha, had gone to the Singhasan Hills in Karbi Anglong to conduct a forest department survey Feb 27.
While about 30 of them returned to district headquarters Diphu safely Feb 29, armed militants abducted Rabha and his colleague Ranjan Baruah Saturday when they were returning to Diphu with the rest of the team members.
- Abducted forest officials still untraced - Mar 04, 2012
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
- Security forces to launch operation against Karbi rebels soon - Apr 27, 2012
- Top Karbi militant, cadres killed in Assam - Apr 20, 2012
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- Three Karbi militants killed in Assam - Jun 20, 2012
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Human-elephant conflict on the rise in Assam - May 17, 2012
- Karbi militant chief believed killed - May 07, 2012
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Militants ganging up with criminals, says Gogoi - May 18, 2012
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
- 4 Kuki militants nabbed with arms in Assam - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, abhijit, assam, baruah, chief conservator, district headquarters, feb 29, forest department, forest minister, forest officials, hussain, karbi anglong, liberation tigers, militants, peoples liberation, rescue operations, search and rescue, security forces, state assembly