Karat, Yechury hold talks with PrachandaSeptember 16th, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) CPI-M leaders Prakash Karat and Sitaram Yechury Tuesday met visiting Nepal Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ and discussed bilateral relations between India and Nepal as well as the peace process in the former Himalayan kingdom.Prachanda, a former revolutionary who became the first prime minister of a republican Nepal nearly a month ago, told the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders that he wanted to boost relations between New Delhi and Kathmandu.
Both the Left leaders also discussed the peace process in Nepal and the framework of a new constitution after the demolition of monarchy this year.
“We discussed India-Nepal relations and general issues like how the new Nepali government wants to go ahead with the peace process, frame the new constitution and how to tackle the economic problem in that country,” Karat told IANS without elaborating.
Meanwhile, Yechury, who had played an important role in brokering a dialogue between the Maoists and democratic parties in Nepal nearly two years ago, said both the CPI-M and Prachanda’s Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-M) would take steps to improve relations between them.
“We will discuss the matter when we visit Kathmandu,” Yechury said.
At the 19th CPI-M party congress in Coimbatore in March this year, the only invitees from Nepal were leaders of the Communist Party of Nepal-Unified Marxist Leninist (CPN-UML) and not the CPN-M.
In order to build good relations between the CPI-M and CPN-M, the Indian communist leaders invited Prachanda to visit Kolkata, their bastion.
“We have invited Prachanda to visit Kolkata,” Yechury said.
- Nepal's Maoists welcome US' removal of terror tag - Sep 08, 2012
- Conflict between parties delaying Nepal's cabinet expansion: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
- Chinese team in Nepal for talks to resolve political impasse - Sep 12, 2010
- Chinese premier meets Nepal president, PM (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- India faces twin Maoist problem in Nepal - Feb 05, 2010
- China to lead world economy by 2025: Karat - Jan 30, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- Left parties to discuss stand over presidential poll - Jun 21, 2012
- Nepal prepares for Koirala's cremation (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- Krishna visit success hinges on meeting with Prachanda - Apr 21, 2011
- CPI-M for more women members - Feb 01, 2012
- CPI-M congratulates Pranab, holds back support for now - Jun 15, 2012
- Nepal parties reach power sharing deal - May 03, 2012
- Communist leaders to meet Chinese leaders Monday - Oct 30, 2010
- New Nepal PM to visit India, sidestepping controversy - Sep 07, 2011