Karat meets Mayawati in bid to push forward ‘third front’August 24th, 2008 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) In their effort to push forth a united ‘third front’, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat met Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati at her residence here Sunday. Karat refused to divulge to the media the details of his talks after his almost three hour-long meeting with Mayawati.
Karat’s meeting with Mayawati comes three days after he met Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) leader and former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda.
In Thursday’s meeting with Deve Gowda, Karat with Communist Party of India (CPI) leaders A.B. Bardhan and D. Raja discussed the latest political developments in the country and took forward the talks on forming a strong ‘third front’.
However, Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) leader Ajit Singh and Mayawati were absent at that meeting.
Om Prakash Chauthala of the Indian National Lok Dal and N. Chandrababu Naidu of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) - two other major constituents of the proposed Third Front - also were not present at the luncheon meeting.
On Saturday night, Chandrababu Naidu met Mayawati here.
- Left, non-NDA parties call all-India protest against graft - Aug 20, 2011
- Deve Gowda asks farmers to revolt against government - Dec 30, 2010
- Opposing illegal dam construction is our right: Naidu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Third Front calls for nationwide shutdown over price rise - Apr 12, 2010
- Opposition parties vow to carry on struggle for Andhra farmers (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Left leaders meet Gowda over lunch - Aug 21, 2008
- Mayawati hosts dinner, Third Front leaders defer leadership isue - Mar 15, 2009
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
- Thursday rally in Karnataka to launch Third Front - Mar 10, 2009
- Nine political parties protest, demand strong Lokpal - Aug 23, 2011
- Third Front not to project PM candidate ahead of Lok Sabha elections: Bardhan - Mar 13, 2009
- AFSPA issue to be raised in parliament: Left - Nov 17, 2011
- Mayawati, Third Front leaders meet but skirt leadership issue (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2009
- Naidu breaks fast following appeal by allies (Night Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012