Karat asks central government to issue directives to OrissaOctober 7th, 2008 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 7 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Tuesday asked the central government to issue directives to the Orissa government under Article 355 of the constitution to contain communal violence in the state.Talking to reporters, he said under Article 355, the central government could give specific directives to the state government to take immediate steps to check the violence and bring the culprits to book.
Karat opposed use of Article 356 in Orissa. “The question does not arise. Article 356 can be used only in exceptional circumstances,” he said in reply to a query.
He voiced his deep concern over the attacks on Christians in Orissa and Karnataka and demanded that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government take action against the Bajrang Dal for its alleged involvement in the violence.
“The central government should take action against the Bajrang Dal under the Unlawful Activities Act as there is enough evidence of its involvement in the violence,” he said.
“I wonder why the central government has not acted despite the Bajrang Dal’s open claim that it is involved in the attacks on Christians,” he said.
Karat said both the UPA government at the centre and the Naveen Patnaik government in Orissa should take immediate steps to bring the guilty to the book.
He alleged that the UPA government had failed to act efficiently as the violence in the state was continuing for a month. He said the UPA government has so far done nothing but sending advisories to the state government.
- Minority panel wants paramilitary forces in Karnataka - Sep 26, 2008
- Akali Dal, BJP stage state-wide protest against corruption - Jun 17, 2011
- Committed to bringing a strong Lokpal: PM - Jan 21, 2012
- Cabinet discusses Orissa violence, Ministers demand President''s rule - Oct 08, 2008
- Moily for CBI probe into Karnataka church attacks - Jan 29, 2011
- Left leaders meet PM, accuse Trinamool of 'reign of terror' - Aug 25, 2011
- 14 held in Orissa for flouting conversion rules (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Opposition terms Kalmadi's arrest as belated - Apr 25, 2011
- Karat assails Mamata regime over 'misrule', farmers' suicides - Jan 20, 2012
- Chidambaram assures MPs that W.Bengal will not attract President's rule - Nov 30, 2009
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- Central team's visit is a warning to West Bengal: Mamata - Dec 01, 2009
- Bajrang Dal a fundamentalist group: Patnaik - Oct 14, 2008
- Central government a 'silent spectator' of Orissa violence: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2008
- Bring amended Lokpal Bill in budget session: Karat - Jan 20, 2012