Karachi baffled by ‘monkey thieves’May 12th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by admin
By Muhammad Najeeb
Islamabad, May 12 (IANS) Police in Karachi are at their wits end on how to deal with the rising trend of thieves using trained monkeys to commit robberies in different parts of the port city. “We have received complaints that monkeys are being used to open doors and locks from inside houses,” a police official told IANS.
Though they have not yet seen such a “thief monkey”, the official said they were on the lookout “and hope (we) will reach the criminals who are masters of these monkeys”.
According to media reports here, such robberies have taken place in neighbourhoods like Landhi, Malir and parts of Korangi.
“The robbers have trained their monkeys to climb the walls and unlock the entrance doors of houses” and then rob the families, a report in The Nation daily said.
This new trick is gaining popularity in and various gangs have started purchasing and training monkeys for this purpose.
A resident of Malir said robbers used this trick in some houses of the area just a fortnight ago, the paper said.
In the past, thieves used a reptile that had a good grip for stealing things.
“This is an issue of serious concern because it is observed in those areas where there is no proper security system,” the daily said.
- Romanian gang attempts to steal a moving lorry - Jun 12, 2012
- Hollywood porn thieves rob stars' homes - Aug 27, 2009
- Pakistanis kill two shop robbers - Jul 19, 2012
- Austria's Obama Robber Makes Headlines! - Jan 22, 2011
- Dumb thieves forgot to put petrol in car! - Nov 22, 2011
- Thieves slide out ATM on watermelon rinds! - Jan 11, 2012
- Robber caught while answering stolen phone - Jun 18, 2012
- Middle class at maximum risk from thieves - Mar 31, 2011
- Bank Of America Robber Sought By FBI - Aug 28, 2010
- Robbers strike bank officer's house, loot Rs.8 lakh - Feb 03, 2011
- Thieves steal diamonds at Swiss Fair - Mar 31, 2011
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Hamelin Thief Robs Arcade With A Cup Of Coffee - Feb 10, 2010
- British Asians warned of gold theft during wedding season - Jun 06, 2012
- Friday is the most popular day for bank robberies - Apr 07, 2011