Karachi attack: Navy blames air force for poor securityMay 30th, 2011 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, May 30 (IANS) The Pakistan Navy Monday blamed the air force for poor security conditions at a naval base in Karachi - where 14 people were killed in a deadly attack last week - saying the real target of the terrorists were the US-made P-3C Orion planes.
A 15-hour siege that began on the night of May 22 at the PNS Mehran base led to the death of 14 people, including four terrorists. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Navy officials told the media Monday that the terrorists entered the base from the area controlled by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and that the responsibility of security of that area lay with the PAF, Online news agency reported.
The terrorists destroyed the Navy’s P-3C Orion aircraft with rockets, they said.
The government of Sindh province Sunday formed a joint investigation team of police and various security agencies to probe the attack, Geo News reported.
The team would comprise of police, Military Intelligence (MI), Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Pakistan Rangers and other agencies.
The team, besides investigating the terrorists’ link within Pakistan and the outside world, would also focus on security lapses.
Four men suspected to be involved in the deadly attack have been arrested in Karachi.
- Three Pakistan Navy officers convicted for Karachi attack - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan forms team to probe naval base attack - May 29, 2011
- Woman facilitated Karachi navy base attack, say police - Dec 15, 2011
- Pakistan gets two surveillance planes from US - Feb 22, 2012
- Taliban threaten to hit more Pakistan targets - Jun 30, 2011
- Gunbattle on as terrorists take hostages at Pakistan naval facility - May 23, 2011
- US to replace aircraft destroyed in Karachi attack - Jun 17, 2011
- Nine die in terror attack at Pakistan's key airbase (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Loss of two surveillance aircraft to impact Pakistan Navy - May 24, 2011
- Terror siege at Pakistan military base ends, 14 dead - May 23, 2011
- Karachi operation over, all terrorists killed - May 23, 2011
- Navy base attackers seem to be Central Asians: Pakistani daily - Jun 20, 2011
- Heads must roll over Karachi attack, says Pakistani daily - May 25, 2011
- Pakistani journalist in ISI custody: Rights body - May 31, 2011
- Karachi base attack: Ex-naval commando, brother held - May 31, 2011
Tags: four men, geo news, government of sindh, intelligence bureau, inter services, investigation team, isi, mehran, military intelligence, navy officials, orion, paf online, pakistan air force, pakistan navy, pakistan rangers, poor security, security agencies, security conditions, sindh province, target