Kapil Sibbal defends PM on coal issue, says BJP spreading canardSeptember 8th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 8 (IANS) Defending Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the allocation of coal blocks, Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Kapil Sibbal Saturday dared the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to seek the resignations of its chief ministers on the issue.
“The coal blocks allotment was a state matter and the prime minister has nothing to do with it,” he said at a press conference here.
Sibbal also questioned Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai’s assessment of loss to the exchequer, saying, “When no coal has been mined then where is the loss”.
“The coal cannot be sold in the market…this right is reserved with the Coal India,” he said.
Accusing the BJP of spreading a canard over the coal blocks issue, he said the opposition party had no right to tarnish the image of the prime minister.
“Jiske mann, niti aur niyat mein hi kalikh ho unhe koyle ki baat nahin karni chahiye (Those whose minds, policies and intentions are blackened they should not talk about coal),” he said.
He added that the UPA had initiated the process of auctioning the coal mines but the BJP-ruled states opposed it bitterly.
He released letters written by chief ministers of Odisha, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh and pointed out that Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had sought cancellation of the previous allotments and demanded that cola blocks be given to entrepreneur Naveen Jindal.
Sibbal also hit out at the BJP for disrupting the monsoon session of parliament.
- CBI questioning chief ministers a waste of time: Raman Singh - Sep 07, 2012
- BJP misleading nation with lies, says Congress - Sep 12, 2012
- BJP is misleading country on coal issue: Congress - Sep 13, 2012
- Odisha CM defends decision on coal block recommendation - Sep 13, 2012
- BJP slams UPA, demands cancellation of coal blocks - Sep 10, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Uproar in Odisha assembly over coal blocks allocation - Aug 29, 2012
- Patnaik rejects centre's claim on coal bidding - Aug 23, 2012
- Cancelling coal blocks impossible: Congress - Sep 05, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- BJP hijacking parliament: Congress - Aug 27, 2012
- IMG likely to complete coal report by Sep 15: Bansal - Sep 13, 2012
- PM's defence of coal blocks allocation unconvincing: Advani (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- Facing allegations for being a Jaiswal: Coal minister - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,