Kapil Dev to get his battle readiness checkedFebruary 20th, 2009 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Former Indian cricket captain Kapil Dev, who was inducted into the Territorial Army five months ago, will undergo a three-day battle efficiency test here beginning Friday.
“The orientation or familiarisation of Kapil Dev will begin Friday. The battle efficiency test as it is being called will also include firing practice,” an army official told IANS.
Kapil Dev, who scripted history by leading the Indian team to victory in the 1983 World Cup, was commissioned into the 150 TA (Infantry) battalion of the Punjab Regiment.
The 50-year-old legendary cricketer is now an honorary Lieutenant Colonel. He received his badges of rank from the Indian Army chief on Sep 24, 2008.
Having inspired thousands of youth in the country to pick up a bat and ball, Kapil Dev now hopes to inspire them to don the Olive Green to protect the nation.
The Territorial Army is a part-time citizen’s force which functions as a “vital adjunct” to the regular army.
- Lt Col Kapil Dev readies for combat (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Feb 20, 2009
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni accepts offer to join Indian Army - Apr 05, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Kargil inspired me to join Army, says superstar Mohan Lal - Jul 09, 2009
- Cricketer Kapil Dev now a honorary army officer - Sep 24, 2008
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Sachin Pilot to join Territorial Army - Sep 05, 2012
- Dhoni attends Territorial Army Raising Day - Oct 11, 2011
- Kapil Dev joins Territorial Army - Sep 25, 2008
- Group Captain Sachin: The cricketer in another blue and wings (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Kapil Dev urges youngsters to join Army - Feb 20, 2009
- Army chief to be honorary colonel of Brigade of the Guards - Jul 12, 2010