Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail termSeptember 30th, 2010 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 30 (IANS) A fast track court in Orissa Thursday sentenced 15 people to three years of rigorous imprisonment for burning several houses during the Kandhamal riots in 2008, a lawyer said.
Judge C.R. Das of a fast track court at the district headquarters of Phulbani, sentenced the men for their role in the burning of the house of Banamali Digal and houses of ten others at Soutikia village Sep 26, 2008.
“The court also asked them to pay a fine of Rs.4,500. If they do not pay, they will have to undergo seven months of additional imprisonment,” defence lawyer Ajit Patnaik told IANS over phone.
Pronouncing its judgment in two separate riot cases, the same court acquitted four others due to lack of evidence. One case was related to a murder and another was related to a rape which allegedly took place at Baudinaju and Bidrabadi villages, respectively, in September 2008.
Kandhamal, about 200 km from Bhubaneswar, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
At least 38 people were killed and more than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by mobs that held Christians responsible for Saraswati’s killing, although the police blamed the Maoists
- 15 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 30, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Nine people sent to jail for burning houses in Kandhamal - Dec 27, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- 18 acquitted in Kandhamal riot cases - Jan 29, 2011
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- Convicted BJP legislator gets bail in Kandhamal murder - Mar 18, 2011
- Orissa court convicts six in Kandhamal riot case - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: aides, ajit, ashram, christians, defence lawyer, digal, district headquarters, fast track, jail term, maoists, mobs, orissa, rigorous imprisonment, riot, riots, saraswati, seven months, several houses, swami, vishwa hindu parishad