Kanchi seer appeals for peace in Sri LankaMarch 25th, 2009 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kanchipuram (Tamil Nadu), March 25 (IANS) Kanchi Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal said here Wednesday he would pray for peace in Sri Lanka and for an end to the loss of innocent lives in the war-torn country.
“We pray to the almighty for peace to return to Sri Lanka” and ensure the stoppage of loss of innocent lives there, the Shankaracharya said.
The pontiff made the comment after meeting Sri Lankan Tamil National Alliance MP from Jaffna Suresh Premachandran.
“The Shankaracharya heard us patiently for over 45 minutes as I explained the travails of Tamils in our land. I could concern on his face. He seemed perturbed after I gave the details of the atrocities perpetrated on our people,” Premachandran said.
Premachandran was visiting this temple city 60 km southwest of state capital Chennai to appeal to Hindu seers to request India’s intervention to stop the civil war in Sri Lanka.
- Kanchi Sankaracharya denies deal with judge - Aug 26, 2011
- Madras High Court stays trial in Sankararaman murder case - Aug 25, 2011
- Mudslinging over Madurai 'mutt' appointment - May 14, 2012
- Sankararaman murder: Court tells police to verify tape - Feb 27, 2012
- Kanchi seers charged in Shankararaman case (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Dec 18, 2008
- Kanchi Shankaracharya launches political outfit in Tamil Nadu - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Lata Mangeshkar's music transcends boundaries' - Jan 23, 2011
- Shankaracharya opposes Telangana state, draws protesters' ire - Feb 16, 2010
- Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned till June 11 - Apr 28, 2009
- Trial of Kanchi seers in Shankararaman murder starts Feb 26 - Jan 09, 2009
- Kanchi Shankaracharyas chargesheeted in Shankararaman case - Dec 18, 2008
- India to finance major harbour in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Pondicherry court to hear Sankaraman murder case today - Dec 30, 2008
- Krishna heads to Lanka, hopes for solution to Tamils' problems (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Varun Gandhi ties knot in Varanasi - Mar 06, 2011