Kalmadi’s brain scan Thursday (Lead)July 27th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) Suresh Kalmadi, former chairman of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee who is in judicial custody in a corruption case, will undergo a brain scan Thursday, a Delhi Court was informed.
“Kalmadi is being provided proper medical aid from the jail premises and outside. Whenever he will be taken to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), there will be a proper escort and no family member would accompany him,” Tihar Jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta told IANS Wednesday.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told Special Judge Talwant Singh that when Kalmadi was earlier to be taken for a check-up by a cardiologist and a neurologist, he refused to go, saying it was his day to meet his relatives.
Kalmadi, 67, who has been lodged in the Tihar Jail, had complained of dizziness, depression and anxiety. He was taken to the Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan Hospital July 19 and an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan was carried out on him.
Kalmadi’s counsel said there was some confusion with the dates. Now the jail superintendent has communicated that Kalmadi would undergo the brain scan Thursday.
He moved an application seeking directions from the court to the jail superintendent to file all the medical reports before the court.
The court allowed the application and said the case would be heard next Aug 5.
The court granted custody parole Aug 2 to former Organising Committee (OC) secretary general V.K. Verma to attend the last rites of his mother-in-law from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The court also permitted former OC deputy director general procurement Surjit Lal and Verma to sign cheques and documents related to their Income-Tax.
The CBI May 20 filed its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others, describing the former CWG OC chief as a prime accused and the mastermind in a corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding a Rs.141 crore contract for timing, scoring and result equipment for the October 2010 sporting event.
- Jailed Suresh Kalmadi to undergo brain scan - Jul 16, 2011
- Kalmadi to be admitted to AIIMS Monday - Jul 31, 2011
- Judicial custody of Kalmadi, other CWG scam accused extended - Jul 14, 2011
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Kalmadi drops plea to attend parliament - Jul 28, 2011
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Kalmadi wants medical reports under wraps - Aug 05, 2011
- Kalmadi moves court to attend parliament - Jul 23, 2011
- Court allows separate jail van for Kalmadi, five others - Jul 21, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to Tihar Jail till Mar. 15 - Mar 01, 2011
- CWG case: Kalmadi's bail plea dismissed - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG timing system contract case trial to start June 6 - May 25, 2011
- Kalmadi opposes charges in CWG graft case - May 23, 2012
- CBI alleges lapse in awarding 2010 Games contract (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Hearing put off on Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, brain scan, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, crore, cwg, delhi court, financial irregularities, india institute, jayaprakash narayan, judicial custody, last rites, magnetic resonance imaging, medical reports, mri magnetic resonance imaging, nayak, organising committee, special judge, sunil gupta