Kalmadi drops plea to attend parliamentJuly 28th, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, who is in judicial custody in a corruption case, Thursday withdrew his application seeking permission from a Delhi court to attend the monsoon session of parliament starting Aug 1.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special judge Talwant Singh allowed Kalmadi’s plea and permitted him to withdraw the application. The court granted him the liberty to move to the Delhi High Court for it.
Kalmadi earlier underwent a brain scan at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences here. He dismissed reports that he was suffering from dementia, saying he was “perfectly all right”.
Speaking to reporters, Kalmadi said: “The problem is with my heart only…my mind and brain are okay, and whatever they (media) are saying, it’s not a fact…remember everything.”
“I am perfectly all right, all that you are reading outside is wrong…I’ve come for my routine check-up,” said Kalmadi, who has been lodged in the Tihar Jail.
During the submission before the special court, Kalmadi’s counsel said: “It requires direction to be issued to the ministry of home affairs so we will have to file it in the high court.”
Kalmadi July 23 sought permission to attend parliament and told the court that there was no apprehension of his absconding.
Kalmadi was arrested April 25. The CBI May 20 filed its first charge sheet in the corruption case against Kalmadi and 10 others.
The probe agency has described Kalmadi, as the prime accused in the case related to financial irregularities in awarding a Rs.141 crore contract for timing, scoring and result system for the October 2010 sporting event.
- I'm perfectly ok, says Kalmadi - Jul 28, 2011
- Kalmadi's brain scan Thursday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Kalmadi again approaches court to attend parliament - Jul 29, 2011
- Kalmadi moves court to attend parliament - Jul 23, 2011
- Kalmadi wants medical reports under wraps - Aug 05, 2011
- Hearing put off on Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament - Jul 26, 2011
- Court rebukes Kalmadi; Asks why he wants to attend parliament (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Jailed Suresh Kalmadi to undergo brain scan - Jul 16, 2011
- Kalmadi to be admitted to AIIMS Monday - Jul 31, 2011
- Kalmadi eyes London trip during Olympics - Jul 12, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- CWG scam: Kalmadi's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- CWG case: Kalmadi's bail plea dismissed - Jun 06, 2011
- Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament rejected - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, apprehension, brain scan, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, cwg, delhi court, delhi high court, india institute, judicial custody, ministry of home affairs, monsoon session, organising committee, routine check, special judge, suffering from dementia, suresh kalmadi, tihar jail