Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead)July 13th, 2012 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) Former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi, who has been accused of corruption, was Friday allowed by a special court to attend conferences in London during the Olympics starting July 27.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special judge Talwant Singh allowed Kalmadi to visit London July 26-Aug 13 when the Olympics will be held.
Kalmadi had Thursday moved the court seeking permission to attend the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Council conference in London on the sidelines of the Olympic Games.
“The application is allowed since the accused (Kalmadi) has to attend the IAAF meeting and as the arguments on the charges in the case on behalf of the accused are over. The accused has also said that no adjournment will be sought on his behalf in further hearing in the case and that his counsel will be present in the case,” judge Talwant Singh said in his order.
Kalmadi, who is out on bail in a graft case related to the 2010 CWG here, had said in his application that he wanted to attend the IAAF Council conference in London in his capacity as a member and as president of Asian Athletics Association (AAA).
He also placed on record the invitation from the IAAF Council and programme schedule of the Olympics and details of the ticket sent to him by association’s general secretary Essar Gabriel.
The CBI, in its first chargesheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others, described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding a Rs.141 crore contract for a scoring system.
The accused officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Kalmadi eyes London trip during Olympics - Jul 12, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- CBI court allows Kalmadi to go to Kazakhstan - Apr 18, 2012
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Kalmadi moves court to attend parliament - Jul 23, 2011
- Hearing put off on Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament - Jul 26, 2011
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
- Kalmadi drops plea to attend parliament - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: akk, asian athletics, asian news, case judge, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, cwg, financial irregularities, graft case, iaaf, indian penal code, international association of athletics federations, organising committee, prevention of corruption act, special judge, suresh kalmadi