Kalka-Shimla train derails, one killed (Lead)December 21st, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 21 (IANS) One person was killed and three people were injured Sunday when a Kalka-Shimla holiday special train derailed in Himachal Pradesh, a railway official said.The dead man was identified as Surinder Singh of Mohali in Punjab, an official at the Ambala railway station told IANS on telephone. One of the injured was reportedly in serious condition.
The official said the train with 30 people left Kalka in Haryana at 6.10 a.m. It went off the track at Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh after two hours of journey.
Witnesses said the accident took place due to massive landslides that blocked the tracks. Solan Deputy Commissioner Amandeep Garg said the engine and two coaches derailed.
He said the injured had been admitted to Dharampur’s community health centre, 40 km from Chandigarh.
Five trains run to and from daily on the world heritage Kalka-Shimla rail line.
The railways Saturday started two special holiday trains to meet the New Year and Christmas traffic.
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Kalka-Shimla train derails, two killed - Dec 21, 2008
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla railway line - Dec 22, 2008
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Heritage walk to spread awareness about Kalka-Shimla railway line - Jul 05, 2010
- Another train on Kalka-Shimla route - Apr 21, 2010
- Kalka-Shimla train derails, one killed - Dec 21, 2008
- Another tragedy awaits Kalka-Shimla rail track? - Dec 22, 2008