Kalawati sent me a ‘rakhi’: Rahul GandhiSeptember 24th, 2008 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar (Punjab), Sep 24 (IANS) He had cited Kalawati’s plight in parliament two months ago, and now Rahul Gandhi has got a ‘rakhi’, symbolising the brother-sister bond, from the poor farm widow from Maharashtra, the Congress MP said Wednesday.”By the way, Kalawati has sent me a rakhi,” Gandhi told mediapersons here. He was speaking on the last day of his three-day trip to Punjab.
The reference to Kalawati came after a journalist asked him if he had found a Kalawati in Punjab also.
“You see Kalawati as a definition of a poor person. She is an individual who is fighting her odds. On those lines, I have found no Kalawati. But yes, I have seen others like her who are going through the same set of problems,” Gandhi said.
The young Congress general secretary had highlighted the plight of Kalawati of Jalkha village in Maharashtra’s Vidarbha region in his Lok Sabha speech during the United Progressive Alliance government’s trust vote debate in July this year.
He had pointed out her poverty and misery as well as her resolve to fight against the odds. Her debt-ridden husband had committed suicide in December 2005, leaving her to fend for seven daughters and two sons.
- Kalawati, who moved Rahul Gandhi, to fight Maharashtra polls - Sep 19, 2009
- UP farmers seek Big B's help to write off debts - May 16, 2012
- Farmer's suicides: BJP calls government a 'murderer' - May 02, 2012
- Kalavati, who moved Rahul Gandhi, to contest Maharashtra polls (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- Vidarbha supporters to observe Maharashtra Day as Black Day - Apr 27, 2012
- Farmer critical after attempting suicide at Chavan's rally - Dec 04, 2011
- Three Vidarbha farmers end life - Apr 20, 2012
- Debt drives three more Vidarbha farmers to suicide (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Tractors seized, power cut off, say Vidharbha farmers - Nov 20, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi 'missing', says Shiv Sena ad - Aug 14, 2011
- Kalavati out of polls, her party cites 'pressure' - Sep 29, 2009
- Trinamool talks tough, threatens to oppose policies in parliament - Mar 09, 2012
- Grid failure stalls life in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 31, 2012
- Now, Rakhi Sawant praises Raj Thackeray - Jan 03, 2012
- Bengal Congress slams under-utilisation of central funds - May 19, 2012