Kalam’s green mission at Rashtrapati BhavanJuly 2nd, 2012 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) The sprawling Mughal Gardens in Rashtrapati Bhavan became a laboratory for nature-related experiments for A.P.J. Abdul Kalam during his 2002-07 presidential tenure.
“It was a great communication medium between me, nature and the citizens of the country; a place where I met people from diverse walks of life, including specialists in herbal plants, for which there was a section in the estate,” Kalam says in his new book “Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges”, an account of his years as president.
Several of the environment-friendly initiatives at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, including a landscaped herbal park, were steered by Kalam.
Kalam recounts that he had installed two huts in the garden, inkeeping with the environment. “One was built by craftsmen from Tripura and was called the Thinking Hut. I took many of my close friends to this hut for discussions during weekends and one of my books, ‘Indomitable Spirit’ was mostly written in the hut,” Kalam says.
The second hut, known as the Immortal Hut, was surrounded by a grove of 16 trees, a herbal garden with 34 varieties of herbs, a musical garden and a bio-diversity park, Kalam says.
“‘Guiding Souls’, one of my important books which explores the purpose of human life, emanated from the discussions I held with my friend Arun Tiwari in the Immortal Hut, Whenever any complex decision had tobe made, these two huts were where I sat and thought,” Kalam says.
The former president was instrumental in creating the first tactile garden in Rashtrapati Bhavan in 2004 with a fountain, stone-guided path and beds of herbs, spices, fruits and aromatic flowers. A tactile garden is a sensory garden that stimulates the senses, besides being visually appealing.
–Indo-Asain News Service
- A karmic love story that begins and ends with India (Lead, Superseding previous story) - Feb 28, 2012
- Was under pressure not to appoint Sonia PM: Kalam - Jul 02, 2012
- Mughal Gardens unfold floral carpets, 120 rose varieties - Feb 09, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Mughal Gardens opened to public - Feb 07, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Aniston's handprints immortalised - Jul 08, 2011
- Kalam congratulates Mukherjee - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Kesariya balam', Indian delicacies, wow Obamas at state banquet (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Rashtrapati Bhavan: Viceregal lodge to India's presidential abode - Jul 24, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Intro Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Two-day Africa festival opens in capital (With image) - Jun 18, 2012
- Mrs 'O', how does your garden grow? - Oct 31, 2010
- Man dies as car catches fire - Sep 23, 2011
- Pineapple halwa, to chicken shami kebab for the Obamas - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: abdul kalam, aromatic flowers, asain, bio diversity, close friends, communication medium, craftsmen, former president, herbal garden, herbal plants, huts, important books, indomitable spirit, mch, mughal gardens, presidential tenure, rashtrapati bhavan new delhi, sensory garden, tripura, walks of life