Kalam’s candidature a closed chapter: MulayamJune 18th, 2012 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 18 (IANS) Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Monday reiterated that his party’s support to UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee was full and final and termed former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s refusal to contest a “closed chapter”.
Declining to be drawn into the political activity related to the presidential election and Kalam’s stand, he said there was no point of discussing a “bygone issue”.
Asked to comment on Kalam, Mulayam Singh said this was a “samapt adhyay” (closed chapter) and there was no need to respond to it. He added that for his party, the only factor that remained was the outcome of the July 19 presidential polls.
“We have given full support to Pranab Mukherjee and it is just a matter of result being announced,” he added.
To queries that that there could be a contest for the next occupant of Rashtrapati Bhavan, Mulayam Singh said if elections were imminent, then so be it.
“We have extended our support for the candidature of Pranab Babu and so have many other political parties, so our stand is clear,” said the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister. He said he hoped that Mukherjee would make it to Rashtrapati Bhavan without any problem.
Kalam Monday announced that he has decided not to contest the presidential election after studying “the totality of the matter”.
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Graft eroding public trust in politicians: Mamata - Jun 19, 2012
- Kalam opts out of presidential fight (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Congress hails Kalam's decision, seeks Mamata's support - Jun 18, 2012
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Ready to leave government if unwanted: Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Intro Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Congratulations Pranab Da, tweets Omar Abdullah (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- Game is not over yet: Mamata - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, babu, chief minister, elections, former president, lucknow, mulayam singh yadav, occupant, political parties, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential election, presidential polls, queries, rashtrapati bhavan, Samajwadi Party, totality, uttar pradesh