Kalam wants n-deal signed at the earliestJuly 27th, 2008 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Amritsar, July 26 (IANS) The India-US nuclear deal should be signed at the earliest to secure the country’s future energy needs, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Saturday. “We should sign the nuclear deal at the earliest if the energy needs of the country are to be secured. This energy will be environment-friendly and cheaper in the long run,” said Kalam, who arrived here in the evening.
The former president will Sunday attend functions here and then go to Kapurthala district, 100 km from here, to visit the godman Baba Balbir Singh Seechewal, who has been instrumental in cleaning up a rivulet.
Supporting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for pushing the nuclear deal despite domestic hurdles, Kalam described him as a visionary.
“Like his predecessor (Atal Bihari Vajpayee), he is taking these steps in national interest. I was shocked to see what happened inside parliament,” Kalam told reporters at the Rajasansi airport here.
He was referring to three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs waving wads of cash alleging that they were offered bribes to support the government in the trust vote over the nuclear deal.
Kalam said the showing of currency notes inside parliament was in bad taste.
The former president, who is an eminent scientist, said most politicians were not concerned with development issues.
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Kalam launches compilation of Vajpayee's works - Jun 09, 2011
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Punjab eco-warrior seeks environment in manifesto - Jan 06, 2012
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Kazakhstan interested in buying Indian nuclear reactors - Apr 15, 2011
- Kudankalam plant safe: Kalam - Nov 14, 2011
- BJP leaders greet former PM Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2010
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Himachal should promote use of biomass fuel: Gadkari - May 09, 2012
- US must observe protocol for Indian dignitaries: Krishna - Nov 14, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Government indeed tried to buy MPs, says BJP - Nov 17, 2011
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012