Kalam meets Dalai Lama at his official palaceJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Jan 2 (IANS) Former Indian president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Friday evening met Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama at his official palace in Mcleodganj near here, officials of the government-in-exile said.”The spiritual leader received Kalam at Kangra airport at 3 p.m. and accompanied him to his official palace,” Tenzin Taklha, a senior aide to the exiled leader, told IANS.
“The duo (Kalam and the Dalai Lama) shared their thoughts during the 45-minute meeting at the latter’s palace,” he said.
He said during the one-hour journey from the airport to the palace they also shared their thoughts.
“He (Kalam) just came to see him (the spiritual leader),” Taklha said.
This was Kalam’s first visit to the Nobel laureate’s palace.
“This was the first visit of the former president to his palace. Earlier, they met twice; but in New Delhi,” Taklha said.
Later, the former president left for Hamirpur town, where he will take part in the convocation of the National Institute of Information and Technology Saturday.
This was Kalam’s second visit to Himachal Pradesh following his December 2004 tour as president.
The Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959 following Chinese occupation of Tibet. The government-in-exile is based in this town and around 100,000 Tibetan exiles live in India.
In recent months, the Buddhist monk has travelled across the world to garner support for “meaningful autonomy” for Tibet. He has denied China’ claims that he wants independence for Tibet, saying he only seeks greater autonomy.
- US envoy meets Dalai Lama, discusses dialogue with China (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- US envoy begins talks with Dalai Lama - Feb 24, 2011
- Another foreign visit for Dalai Lama - but not to Tibet - Jan 27, 2012
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Nirupama Rao begins talks with Dalai Lama (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Nirupama Rao to meet Dalai Lama in Mcleodganj - Jul 10, 2010
- Nirupama Rao talks with Dalai Lama (Third Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama in Delhi for eye check-up (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Obama-Dalai Lama meet shows US concern for Tibet, say exiles - Feb 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victims - Aug 14, 2010
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011