Kailash Mansarovar yatra draw held, 960 selectedApril 22nd, 2009 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) As many as 960 people were selected after a computerised draw here Tuesday to undertake the pilgrimage to Kailash Mansarovar in China later this year in 16 batches of 60 pilgrims each.
Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon conducted the draw for the pilgrimage, applications for which were invited through advertisements in the media.
The yatra is scheduled to begin on June 1, 2009 and will continue till September.
Pilgrims were selected through a transparent, computer-generated, gender-balanced random selection process for a total of 960 slots comprising of 16 batches, with the remaining applicants being put on a standby list, said the external affairs ministry, which organises the annual pilgrimage.
The external affairs ministry has been organising the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra since 1981 under a bilateral agreement with China.
The arrangements for the yatra on the Chinese side are made by the authorities of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
China had agreed to India’s request to increase the size of each batch from 44 to 60 yatris.
“The government is also discussing with the Chinese side issues regarding the improvement of facilities on their side for the Yatra within the constraint of the difficult terrain and inadequacy of infrastructure along the Yatra route,” the ministry said.
“There has been gradual improvement over the years. The Chinese side has conveyed their willingness to provide greater facilitation to pilgrims from India,” it added.
- China agrees to let in more Mansarovar pilgrims - Mar 31, 2010
- Kailash Mansarovar Yatra facilities to be improved: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- MEA improving facilities for 'Kailash Mansarovar Yatra' - Mar 15, 2011
- Improve facilities, extend Amarnath yatra period: BJP - Aug 14, 2012
- Kailash-Mansarovar pilgrimage to Tibet begins - Jun 01, 2010
- India, China hold maiden border mechanism talks - Mar 06, 2012
- China axes Indian pilgrim batches over Olympic torch relay (Lead) - May 20, 2008
- Route Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage through Himachal: Dhumal - Jun 11, 2009
- Rains, landslides disrupt Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage - Aug 19, 2009
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Rising death toll of Amarnath pilgrims raise health concerns - Jul 25, 2012
- With Olympic torch in Tibet, China axes Indian pilgrim batches - May 20, 2008
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011