‘Kafeel kicked, punched bystanders in failed Glasgow attack’ (Lead)October 14th, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 14 (IANS) Indian-born engineering student Kafeel Ahmed fought off bystanders who attempted to put out a fire in a failed terror attack on Glasgow airport last year, according to prosecutors who have shown dramatic CCTV footage of the incident. The footage was shown at a trial of two accomplices of Ahmed, who died of burn injuries after the July 30 attack in which he drove a burning Jeep Cherokee into the main terminal of the airport.
Iraqi-born doctor Bilal Abdulla, who was a passenger in the car, and Jordanian neurologist Mohammad Asha, also an alleged accomplice, are being tried for their suspected role in the attack.
Prosecutor Jonathan Laidlaw told the jury in a London court Monday that Ahmed and Abdulla lit and threw petrol bombs - in retaliation for what they see as the mistreatment of Muslims in Afghanistan and Iraq by Britain and the US.
“Kafeel Ahmed was also seen to pour and shake fuel from a can out of the window on his side of the vehicle. He threw another petrol bomb into that pool of fuel before getting out of the Jeep,” Laidlaw said.
He said Ahmed was engulfed in flames as he got out of the Jeep.
“As police and members of the public gathered in an attempt to extinguish the fire, Ahmed, even though he was alight, tried to obstruct them by punching and kicking out.”
Laidlaw said Abdulla too lashed out violently, breaking one man’s leg and knocking out his tooth.
The CCTV footage shows dozens of travellers running away as the car, laden with gas cylinders and petrol, crashes into the terminal.
“Fortunately for those within the building, the Jeep became caught against the right-hand side of one of the entrance doors. Undeterred and in a very determined attempt to penetrate the building, the driver then reversed the vehicle out,” Laidlaw said.
“With the engine revving and the tyres screeching, he made the first of a number of attempts to crash through the airport doors. He repeatedly struck the pillars or door frame until the vehicle became trapped,” he added.
- 'Kafeel Ahmed fled car bomb in cycle rickshaw' - Oct 11, 2008
- Glasgow suicide bomber left will vowing to avenge Muslim killings to Osama - Oct 11, 2008
- Luck saved travelers from June 2007 terror strike at Glasgow Airport - Oct 10, 2008
- Jurors trying doctors in Kafeel Ahmed case warned against prejudice - Oct 09, 2008
- Cool, lol, smiley faces - the language of terrorist - Oct 15, 2008
- Indian-born Kafeel alone behind Glasgow bombing: co-accused tells court - Nov 18, 2008
- Glasgow bomber Abdulla admits he is a terrorist as per English law - Nov 18, 2008
- Glasgow bomber gets 32-year jail term - Dec 17, 2008
- New CCTV footage of Glasgow bombing released - Oct 14, 2008
- New York police said Times Square car bomb 'similar' to one used in Glasgow raid - May 03, 2010
- Ex-lover burns 64-year-old to death in lift - Dec 19, 2011
- Iraqi doctor found guilty of failed UK bombings - Dec 17, 2008
- Terror suspect Sabeel Ahmed to be deported to India - Apr 12, 2008
- London terror-suspect Kafeel Ahmed used tourist rickshaw to escape - Oct 11, 2008
- Glasgow terror attack police to be honoured - Jan 09, 2009