Jyoti Basu’s health ‘in control’September 8th, 2008 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 8 (IANS) Veteran Marxist leader and former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu, who sustained a head injury after a fall in the bathroom of his residence Friday, is keeping well at a city nursing home, its spokesperson said Monday.”Basu is keeping well. He slept well Sunday night and is being given normal diet. His clinical conditions are in control and we are closely monitoring his cardiac and neurological functions,” the nursing home vice-president Satyabrata Upadhyay told IANS.
Upadhyay said the medical tests performed on Basu Monday morning did not reveal anything of concern.
“The medical test results are nothing to worry about. More tests will be performed (later) Monday and Tuesday. The hospital authorities will then sit with the medical team attending Basu and other experts Tuesday evening to decide the next course of action,” Upadhyay added.
A 10-member medical board led by renowned physician Mani Chettri Basu has been formed to treat the 94-year-old leader, who was admitted to the nursing home Sunday under the supervision of neurosurgeon R. Bhattacharya.
The veteran Communist Party of India-Marxist leader had suffered “internal haemorrhage in the head” due to a fall in his Salt Lake residence early Friday.
On Saturday, Basu underwent a CT Scan and was advised hospitalisation. He had earlier received stitches on the forehead after the fall.
Basu was state chief minister from 1977 to 2000.
- Jyoti Basu stable, more tests likely (Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu admitted to hospital - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu stable, responding to treatment (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu conscious, stable - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu likely to be hospitalised Sunday (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu hospitalised with pneumonia (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2010
- Jyoti Basu's condition improves marginally - Jan 03, 2010
- No change in Basu's brain status, still critical (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, undergoing physiotherapy - Jan 05, 2010
- No improvement in Pravin Mahajan's condition - Dec 14, 2009
- Marxist Jyoti Basu had a bourgeois lifestyle: Dalai Lama - Feb 07, 2011
- Jyoti Basu has mild fever, still critical - Jan 12, 2010
- Jyoti Basu still critical, infection marginally down (Lead) - Jan 13, 2010