Jyoti Basu likely to be hospitalised Sunday (Second Lead)September 7th, 2008 - 1:42 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 7 (IANS) Veteran Marxist leader and former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu, who suffered an “internal haemorrhage in the head” after he slipped and fell Friday, is likely to be admitted to a city nursing home Sunday.The 94-year-old leader, a member of the Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo, underwent a CT Scan and X-ray examination Saturday at a nursing home near his Indira Bhavan residence at Salt Lake Saturday.
Nursing home spokesman Debasish Sharma said: “Basu has had an internal haemorrhage in the head. He has been advised hospitalisation.”
Basu had earlier received stitches on his forehead after the fall in the bathroom of his residence in the early hours Friday, party sources said.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has rushed to Basu’s residence.
Concerned over Basu’s health, Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi visited him in the evening and said: “The injury was very quickly attended to by the doctors. They are examining and looking after him. He is in great spirits. He is alert and talking on national and international issues. He is joking and reminiscing”.
Basu was chief minister of the state from 1977 to 2000.
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu admitted to hospital - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu stable, more tests likely (Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu hospitalised with pneumonia (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, responding to treatment (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu conscious, stable - Jan 02, 2010
- Basu still on ventilator, blood pressure fluctuating (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Jyoti Basu's health 'in control' - Sep 08, 2008
- Jyoti Basu injures leg after fall, could not vote (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Jyoti Basu's condition improves marginally - Jan 03, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, still on ventilator support - Jan 07, 2010
- Township must be named after Jyoti Basu: Left - Oct 21, 2011
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- Jyoti Basu in hospital, condition stable (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2009