Jyoti Basu admitted to hospitalSeptember 7th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 7 (IANS) Veteran Marxist leader and former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu was admitted to a city nursing home Sunday for treatment for a head injury he sustained after a fall in the bathroom of his house two days ago.The 94-year-old leader, a member of the Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo, has been kept in a suite under the supervision of neurosurgeon R.N. Bhattacharya.
He suffered an “internal haemorrhage in the head”, doctors attending on him said Saturday. A medical board formed for the senior leader’s treatment would meet to decide on the course of treatment.
Sources close to Basu said he had a normal diet Sunday morning before he was driven in an ambulance to the South Kolkata nursing home.
He was accompanied by his family members and Sports Minister Subhas Chakraborty, besides his personal aide Jaikrishan Ghosh.
On Saturday, Basu underwent a CT Scan at a nursing home near his Indira Bhavan residence at Salt Lake and was advised hospitalisation.
He had earlier received stitches on his forehead after he slipped and fell in the bathroom of his residence in the early hours Friday.
Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi and Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee visited Basu’s residence Saturday to enquire about his condition.
Basu was chief minister of the state from 1977 to 2000.
- Jyoti Basu stable, more tests likely (Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu advised hospitalisation after fall - Sep 06, 2008
- Jyoti Basu stable, responding to treatment (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu likely to be hospitalised Sunday (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Jyoti Basu hospitalised with pneumonia (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2010
- Jyoti Basu conscious, stable - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu's health 'in control' - Sep 08, 2008
- Jyoti Basu's condition improves marginally - Jan 03, 2010
- She still feels like taking meals to 'Jyoti babu' (Monday is Jyoti Basu's first death anniversary) - Jan 16, 2011
- CPI-M Tripura legislator dead - Mar 10, 2012
- Congress, Left slam Mamata on bunglow's renaming - Dec 29, 2011
- Jyoti Basu injures leg after fall, could not vote (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Jyoti Basu stable, undergoing physiotherapy - Jan 05, 2010
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011