Juventus draw with Parma in Italian Serie AFebruary 16th, 2012 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 16 (IANS) Juventus failed to reclaim the top spot of the Italian Serie A football standings after being held to a goalless draw by Parma.
Juventus dominated Wednesday’s game in terms of opportunities but could not convert them, remaining in second spot, a point behind AC Milan, with a game in hand on the pacesetters.
Juventus head coach Antonio Conte blamed the referee for failing to award penalties.
Juventus had two strong appeals for a spot-kick rejected, and Conte was left enraged by that.
“We dominated the game for long periods and need to win in these situations, so it is a shame we didn’t get all three points,” Conte was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“And the footage speaks for itself. I think at this stage referees are afraid of giving a penalty to Juventus. We have only received one spot-kick this season.
“I am not just talking about today’s incidents, but it is a general view of the whole campaign that people are afraid of giving a penalty in our favour,” he said.
Conte’s men were well-rested coming into the match, which was postponed last month due to bad weather in Parma.
It was actually mid-table Parma who were threatening inside early on but McDonald Mariga’s weak shot was easily saved by Gianluigi Buffon, and after that it was largely all Juventus.
- Juventus demand equal treatment on the pitch - Feb 17, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Buffon saves Totti's penalty to extend Juventus' unbeaten streak - Dec 13, 2011
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Juventus will write history, feels Conte - Apr 26, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Juventus beat Catania to top Serie A - Feb 19, 2012
- Buffon to extend Juventus deal - Sep 10, 2012
- Italy captain Buffon probed for illegal gambling - Jun 01, 2012
- Conte: We wasted a bonus - May 03, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Juve, Milan win to keep title race open - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: ac milan, antonio conte, bad weather, favour, football standings, game, gianluigi buffon, head coach, italian serie, juventus, long periods, match, mcdonald mariga, pacesetters, parma, referee, referees, rome, shame, xinhua