Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie AMarch 26th, 2012 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Turin (Italy), March 26 (IANS) Juventus beat Inter 2-0 at home in the Derby d’Italia to move within four points of the Serie A football leaders AC Milan.
Following a first half in which both sides had chances, Juventus took the lead just before the hour mark when Martin Caceres headed home from a corner.
Mirko Vucinic might have then made it two but for a tame finish. Veteran striker Alessandro Del Piero did doubled the advantage soon afterwards with a tidy finish.
Inter Milan head coach Claudio Ranieri rued his side’s lost chances.
“There are regrets about this game, as for an hour we did very well, but the goal was down to yet another distraction on set plays. From there the game was over for us, as we lost in terms of intensity and determination on every ball,” he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Juventus continued to have the better of the chances, and Maicon needed to make a block on the goal-line from Fabio Quagliarella after a Giorgio Chiellini ball to the far post, but there were no further goals.
The win moved Juventus back to within four points of Milan at the top of the table, while Inter are a point behind Catania in eighth.
According to Juventus head coach Antonio Conte, the Serie A title is only for Milan to lose.
“How much do we believe in the title? It is in Milan’s hands. I don’ t want to upset anyone, but I am objective. The Rossoneri are proving they have such strength in depth that they can continue to do well even through injuries,” he said.
In the other matches Sunday, Lazio opened up a three-point cushion over Napoli and Udinese as they recorded a late 1-0 triumph over Cagliari.
Lazio hold the last Champions League qualifying spot and are now three points clear of fifth-placed Udinese, who drew 1-1 at Palermo Saturday, and fourth-placed Napoli, who conceded two goals in the final 15 minutes in a 2-2 draw with Catania at the Stadio San Paolo.
Genoa and Fiorentina played out a 2-2 draw as they both remained in the bottom half of the table.
Relegation-threatened Parma twice struck the woodwork as they had to settle for a 2-2 draw at bottom side Cesena.
Novara came within inches of snatching a last-gasp win over Lecce but had to settle for a goalless draw that leaves both teams in relegation trouble.
Atalanta leapfrogged Bologna in the standings with a 2-0 triumph in Bergamo.
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Napoli beat Novara to keep Champions League hopes alive - Apr 22, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Juve, Milan win to keep title race open - Apr 26, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: ac milan, alessandro del piero, antonio conte, claudio ranieri, coach claudio, fiorentina, four points, giorgio chiellini, goal line, head coach, inter milan, maicon, point cushion, quagliarella, rossoneri, stadio san paolo, turin italy, udinese, veteran striker, xinhua