Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derbyMay 7th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 7 (IANS) Juventus defeated Cagliary 2-0 to clinch their first Serie A football title since 2003 at the expense of AC Milan’s 2-4 loss to Inter Milan in a fiery derby contest.
Juve, still unbeaten in Serie A this season, went ahead Sunday with a Mirko Vucinic goal and later doubled in the second half with a looping effort from Marco Borriello to win the match, reported Xinhua.
Juventus head coach Antonio Conte praised his side’s effort after the comprehensive win Sunday.
“I thank the players who worked so hard, the fans who put themselves behind us 100 per cent and I also tip my hat to Milan, who provided a huge challenge and are a great club. It’s even more satisfying to get the better of a side like that, as it was unexpected,” he added.
Milan’s head coach Massimiliano Allegri complimented Juventus for their Scudetto victory and felt Milan paid their price for their player injuries.
“Juventus deserved to win the title and it was a fascinating season with two teams on many points,” said Allegri after his side loss.
“Juventus had a great campaign, so did we despite all of the problems we went through from injuries to incidents. I thank the lads for the work they did this year and next term we’ ll be here fighting again,” he said.
Inter took the lead through Diego Milito, before Julio Cesar’s foul on Kevin Prince-Boateng was deemed to be a penalty. Zlatan Ibrahimovic converted with ease and put Milan into the lead with a neat finish just a minute after half-time.
However, two penalties from Milito swung the tide back in Inter’s favour and Maicon smashed a fourth later on to send the title to Turin as the results left the Old Lady four points ahead of the Rossoneri with one game of the season to go.
Udinese moved into third position and sealed their Champions League berth next season thanks to a 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Genoa, who ended the game with nine men and a point needed from their final game of the season to retain their place.
Lazio kept their Champions League hopes alive with goals from Libor Kozak and Lorik Cana with a 2-0 victory at Atalanta.
The win leaves fourth-placed Lazio two points behind Udinese in third with one game left.
Napoli fell three points behind Udinese as they slumped to a 0-2 defeat at Bologna.
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Juve closing in on Serie A title - Apr 30, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Juve, Milan win to keep title race open - Apr 26, 2012
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Loss to Lazio will do us good: Allegri - Feb 02, 2012
- Nothing is decided yet, says Milan coach - Apr 23, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: ac milan, antonio conte, berth, borriello, derby contest, diego milito, final game, football title, four points, head coach, inter milan, julio cesar, kevin prince boateng, mirko vucinic, player injuries, rossoneri, seaso, season thanks, third position, xinhua