Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge (Lead)June 4th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Justice Madan Bhimarao Lokur was Monday sworn in as a judge of the Supreme Court.
Prior to his elevation, Justice Lokur was chief justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
With this, the strength of the apex court has gone up to 26, still five short of the sanctioned strength of 31 judges.
This is the first time that a judge, on his elevation to the apex court, was administered the oath during the summer vacation. Soon after his swearing in by Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Lokur attended the court sitting with Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan and Justice J.S. Khehar on the vacation bench.
Justice Lokur, as chief justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, had headed the bench that quashed the 4.5 percent reservation in educational institutions and government jobs for Muslims within the existing reservation quota.
Born on Dec 31, 1953, Justice Lokur became Additional Judge of Delhi High Court Feb 19, 1999 and Permanent Judge of the high court July 5, 1999. He was appointed as Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court on June 24, 2010.
Justice Lokur was transferred as chief justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court and assumed charge of office on 15.11.2011.
- Justice Lokur sworn in as Supreme Court judge - Jun 04, 2012
- SC to hear Monday government plea on minorities' sub-quota - Jun 09, 2012
- Justice Gogoi joins apex court - Apr 23, 2012
- Apex court judge recuses from Karnataka cop's case - May 31, 2012
- Supreme Court gets three new judges - Sep 13, 2011
- Supreme Court no to stay Andhra court sub-quota order (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- With new judge, Supreme Court has 26 judges - Apr 02, 2012
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Apex court seeks Uttar Pradesh view on poll quota ruling (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Apex court challenge the reservation in Uttar Pradesh poll - Jun 07, 2012
- Government files documents on minority sub-quota plea - Jun 12, 2012
- Supreme Court judge Sudershan Reddy retires - Jul 07, 2011
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Third Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 'Right to fair trial can't overshadow freedom of speech' - Apr 17, 2012
- Apex court to hear plea on Uttar Pradesh poll quota - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh high court, apex, apex court, bench, chief justice, delhi high court, educational institutions, elevation, government jobs, june 24, kapadia, madan, muslims, New Delhi, quota, s radhakrishnan, summer vacation, supreme court judge