Junior doctors call off strike in AndhraFebruary 15th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 15 (IANS) Emergency services in government-run hospitals in Andhra Pradesh were restored Wednesday as the junior doctors called off their strike after the government promised to address their problems.
The junior doctors, who were on strike for over a month and had been boycotting emergency services since Feb 10, called off the strike after marathon talks with Medical Education Minister Kondru Murali.
The talks began Tuesday night and continued till Wednesday morning.
The leaders of the Andhra Pradesh Junior Doctors Association (APJDA) said they were temporarily calling off their strike. They promised to withdraw the stir after getting a written assurance from the government to fulfill their demands.
The junior doctors want a 40 percent hike in their stipend and reduced compulsory service in rural areas from three years to one year. The government has accepted 11 of the 13 demands.
The strike had about 3,000 medicos paralyse emergency services in 10 major teaching hospitals across the state, causing inconvenience to patients.
As many as 40 patients died Friday and Saturday but the government claimed the deaths were not because of the strike. It claimed to have made alternate arrangements by using the services of senior doctors from other hospitals.
- Junior doctors' strike continues in Andhra - Feb 12, 2012
- Andhra junior doctors to intensify strike - Feb 10, 2012
- 10 die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Eight die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals - Feb 11, 2012
- Medical services hit as junior doctors in Andhra intensify stir - Sep 03, 2012
- Eight children die as junior doctors continue strike - May 08, 2011
- Junior doctors end 14-day strike in Bihar - Jun 28, 2012
- Andhra not to pay striking Telangana employees - Sep 22, 2011
- Andhra junior doctors call off strike - May 09, 2011
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- Government threatens action against striking Bihar doctors - Nov 15, 2009
- Gwalior junior doctors call off strike - Nov 16, 2011
- Bihar's junior doctors resume work - Nov 22, 2009
- Bihar junior doctors on strike, legislator's guards held (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: alternate arrangements, compulsory service, deaths, education minister, emergency services, hyderabad, inconvenience, junior doctors association, marathon talks, medical education, rural areas, stipend, teaching hospitals, tuesday night, wednesday morning