Junior athlete’s leg amputated due to train accidentNovember 8th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Thane/Wardha, Nov 8 (IANS) It was a lifetime blow for a Maharashtra junior athlete and his family as he fell off a running train Friday, it was revealed here Tuesday.
The athlete, Neeraj Singh (16) from Ambarnath town of Thane district had to undergo surgery and subsequently his left leg had to be amputated from the knee down.
However, no official from the Maharashtra Athletic Association or the Thane District Association bothered to inquire about his condition or offer help, Singh’s family claimed.
“Neeraj had gone to participate in the junior athletics meet held at Ranchi. He represented Maharashtra in hammerthrow,” Vilas Gaikar, Singh’s coach and family friend told IANS.
“As per rules, an official is mandated to travel with the junior athletes’ team if there is an outstation sports meet. But no official was travelling with the team. Neeraj, fell off the running train while returning from Ranchi. The accident took place between Nagpur and Wardha,” Gaikar added.
Neeraj’s father, who is also a sportsman, along with his mother rushed to Kasturba Hospital in Wardha where he has been admitted.
“But it is difficult for them to deal with their son’s fate. It has been four days to the accident, but no action has been taken from any of the associations. An official from Wardha District Association visited Neeraj once, but only for the sake of it,” Gaikar said.
Officials from Maharashtra Athletic Association of Thane District Association could not be contacted for more details.
- Three injured in freak railway mishap near Mumbai - Jun 26, 2012
- 17 pilgrims killed in Maharashtra accident - Mar 17, 2011
- Two policemen killed in accident - Jun 19, 2011
- Four children, two women die in building collapse - Apr 19, 2011
- Anxious wait for families of Shirdi pilgrims in Hyderabad - Jun 16, 2012
- Bodies of Shridi pilgrims being shifted to Hyderabad (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- 17 killed in Maharashtra bus accident - Mar 17, 2011
- Four killed, 29 injured in Jharkhand accidents - Dec 07, 2010
- Amitabh Bachchan pays farmers' debt - May 12, 2012
- One killed in Maharashtra train accident, probe ordered - Jul 20, 2012
- On way to his marriage, groom dies in accident - May 27, 2011
- Crackdown continues against errant bus operators in Andhra - Jun 23, 2012
- Prabha Rau was an athlete, trained musician (Obituary) - Apr 26, 2010
- 10 killed as bus falls in stepwell in Maharashtra - Jun 30, 2011