Jumbos’ terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribalsSeptember 26th, 2011 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Sep 26 (IANS) After giving sleepless nights for a week to tribals in forests of Chhattisgarh’s Surguja district late last month, a herd of wild jumbos returned Monday to the same pocket, forcing dozens of families to migrate to safer areas.
A group of seven wild jumbos entered two forested villages - Bakna and Bakdiha - in the wee hours.
Around 32 poor tribal families were forced to migrate to safer areas after the tuskers devastated paddy crops in one acre area and brought down a portion of a temple, a forest official told IANS.
Last month also, the tribals had to flee their houses following such attacks.
The tribal residents of the two villages in Surguja district, 380 km from here, were under constant attacks by wild jumbos for the past two years and since this March, the residents migrated six times for brief periods to avoid the wild jumbos’ wrath.
According to the officials at the forest headquarters here, the state has witnessed a record 7,023 cases of attacks by wild elephants during January-July on houses, standing crops and forest residents.
The total human deaths in the first seven months was 11, while 610 houses were demolished and 6,402 cases of damage to crops registered.
Forest Minister Vikram Usendi told the state assembly last month that some 103 wild jumbos were roaming in the state mainly in the northern region which is made up of Surguja, Jashpur, Raigarh, Korea and Korba districts.
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Wild elephants attack Chhattisgarh village, tribals flee - Nov 15, 2009
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Elephants killed six in Chhattisgarh in 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Wild jumbos kill one, demolish houses in Chhattisgarh - Jun 16, 2009
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: acre area, forest headquarters, forest minister, herd, human deaths, jumbos, korba, seven months, six times, sleepless nights, standing crops, state assembly, surguja, tribal families, tribals, tuskers, vikram, wee hours, wild elephants, wrath