Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in ChhattisgarhJuly 18th, 2011 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 18 (IANS) For about a week now, a herd of 16 wild elephants has made a forested hamlet of Chhattisgarh its home, running amok in the area and driving 22 fear-stricken families out of their homes, an official said Monday.
The tribal families belong to the Kunkuri forested area in Jashpur district, some 400 km from the state capital Raipur. And they are now at the receiving end of yet another incident of man-animal conflict in northern Chhattisgarh.
“The families which were residing in the jungles of Kunkuri abandoned their homes late Sunday after the jumbos brought down their mud houses,” C.S. Tiwari, a local forest department official, told IANS.
He said the families feared a threat to their life from the wild elephants which have parked themselves in the area for about a week. The official said the tribal families would return once the herd of 16 moved away.
Chhattisgarh’s northern region, comprising Surguja, Jashpur, Koria, Korba and Raigarh districts, regularly witnesses cases of man-elephant conflict. Dozens of people have been killed by wild elephants in recent years.
The state government annually pays villagers in the northern region millions of rupees in compensation for the loss of human lives and the damage caused to homes and crops.
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Man-elephant conflict: Chhattisgarh plans experts' panel - Dec 17, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Elephants killed six in Chhattisgarh in 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: chhattisgarh raipur, conflict, crops, dozens, elephant, fear, forest department, hamlet, herd, jumbos, jungles, korba, man animal, mud houses, raigarh, rupees, state government, stricken families, tribal families, wild elephants