Jumat-ul-Vida passes off peacefully in HyderabadAugust 17th, 2012 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 17 (IANS) Jumat-ul-Vida or the last Friday of Muslim holy month of Ramadan passed off peacefully here with thousands of faithful offering the prayers.
The police had made elaborate security arrangements to maintain law and order in the old city, where the largest congregation was held at the historic Mecca Masjid.
Additional security arrangements were made in view of the possible protests by the Muslim groups over violence in Assam and the persecution of Muslims in Myanmar. However, no such protest was was held.
The police diverted traffic on the main roads around Mecca Masjid and Charminar as the Muslims offered prayers on the streets adjoining the sprawling mosque, one of the biggest in India.
Huge gatherings were seen at hundreds of mosques in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Clad in their best and wearing skull cap, thousands offered prayers in Masjid-e-Chowk, Darulshifa, Masjid Ujale Shah, Public Gardens mosque, Masjid-e-Azizia and Jama Masjid Secunderabad.
The ‘khateeb’ (priest) in their sermons exhorted Muslims to continue ‘namaz’ and other pious deeds after Ramadan and strictly follow the holy Quran for success in this life and hereafter.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) organised the annual ‘Quran day’ meeting at Mecca Masjid.
The prayers also passed off peacefully in Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Adilabad, Guntur, Kurnool, Kadapa and other towns across the state.
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- Prayers for peace as Andhra celebrates Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- Moulana Israr Ahmed's death shocks Muslims - Apr 14, 2010
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Andhra government to start conservation work on Mecca Masjid - Mar 26, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- We will move Supreme Court if Ayodhya verdict against us: Owaisi - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: additional security, assam, charminar, chowk, darulshifa, holy quran, jumat, kadapa, karimnagar, main roads, mecca, mecca masjid, mosques, muslim groups, muslim holy, public gardens, ramadan, secunderabad, security arrangements, skull cap