Judge us by our response to financial crisis: Manmohan Singh (Lead)November 16th, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, Nov 16 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Sunday the people of India should judge the performance of his government by its response to the global financial crisis which was “not our making”.While saying general elections would be held on schedule next year and there was no move to advance the dates, the prime minister said his government acted in time and while the rest of the world was in “doom and gloom” India continued to maintain its 7.5 percent growth rate.
“Elections will be held on schedule,” a relaxed Manmohan Singh said on his way back from the Summit on Financial Markets and the World Economy hosted by US President George W. Bush in Washington Saturday.
“It has no bearing on the elections, he replied when asked if the financial crisis would have an impact on when the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, which took office May 22, 2004, intended to hold the next elections.
The prime minister has said on more than one occasion that the general elections would be held when they fall due - that is by spring of 2009.
“I think, as I said, the crisis is not our making. What I would like is for the people of India to judge us by the response of our government to this crisis,” said the prime minister in response to a question.
“We acted in time, and while the rest of the world is in doom and gloom, we will still maintain a growth rate of 7.5 percent.
“Growth with stability, more socially inclusive growth is a reality and will remain a reality despite the onslaught of the adverse turn in our external environment.”
- Elections on schedule: PM - Nov 16, 2008
- Manmohan Singh rules out early Lok Sabha poll - Nov 16, 2008
- We anticipated slowdown, but have done well: Manmohan Singh (Round-Up) - Nov 16, 2008
- People impatient, economy will improve: PM - Jun 19, 2012
- Greece upset calculations, let it not spillover: Manmohan - Nov 04, 2011
- Lack of political consensus hurting economy, says PM (Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
- PM assures growth, reforms, stable rupee - Jun 24, 2012
- India will grow faster: PM to 'impatient' citizens, investors (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Chidambaram assumes charge of finance - Aug 01, 2012
- Retail FDI implementation after next year's assembly polls: PM (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- India has right foundation to grow 9-10 percent: PM - Jun 30, 2011
- PM making excuses for governance deficit, says BJP (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Indian economy will grow 7-7.5 percent in 2011-12: PM - Feb 03, 2012
- Greece has upset calculations, let it not multiply: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- India can have third largest GDP by 2025: PM (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011