Journalist’s bravery gets him back his stolen mobile phoneJanuary 11th, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 11 (IANS) Attacked and robbed of his mobile phone near a Delhi Metro station late at night, a 26-year-old journalist surprised his four attackers as he fought back, caught one of them and handed him over to police.Saurabh Yadav, working with the Indo-Asian News Service, was attacked by four men late Saturday just a few metres from the Uttam Nagar East Metro station in southwest Delhi.
“They pounced on me and caught hold of me by my neck. They snatched my cell phone and tried to flee,” Yadav recalled the incident of Saturday night.
However, the robbers were in for a surprise.
Yadav, returning home to Uttam Nagar after work, despite being pummelled by them, grabbed one of them, later identified as Ajay, though the other three managed to escape.
“I beat him in the face and held on to him tight before I managed to get a cell phone from a bystander to call the police who arrived at the scene 15 minutes later,” said Yadav, who suffered minor injuries.
The police quizzed the man and he named his accomplices, all of whom were rounded up by early Sunday morning.
“I never knew that the assailants lived very near to my house. I got my phone back Sunday morning from the police,” said the journalist.
With a smile, Yadav said hitting back was not intentional and had the assailants not physically attacked him, he would have given them the mobile phone without a fight.
“They did not utter a word - had they asked for money or the phone or even the clothes I wore, I would have just given it to them. But they attacked me …so I too subconsciously acted in defence and hit back,” he said.
- Robbers snatch Rs.5 lakh, victim retrieves money - Oct 03, 2011
- Missing kids, lost wallets, reunions: all at Ramlila - Aug 27, 2011
- Three held for killing youth - Jan 24, 2011
- Police find suicide note in BBA student's death - Sep 05, 2012
- Maid arrested for kidnapping employer's son - May 02, 2011
- Man held with pistol at Metro station - Nov 02, 2011
- Journalist mugged in Delhi - Jul 07, 2011
- Man arrested for threatening to kidnap businessman's son - Feb 10, 2011
- Chinese woman helps arrest thief in Metro train - Feb 21, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
- Delhi Metro mock drill hits commuters (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Maoists attack Bihar railway station (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Shoe attack bid shows desperation in RSS, BJP: Congress (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Youth run over by Metro train - Mar 05, 2011
- Soaked matches save journalist from being burned alive - Jun 04, 2011