Journalist from Uttar Pradesh bashed up by MNSOctober 30th, 2008 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 30 (IANS) A senior journalist from Uttar Pradesh was Thursday brutally beaten by supporters of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) here, police said, a day after a young man from the state died after being thrashed in a suburban train. Dinanath Tiwari, 45, who works for the Nirbhay Pathik tabloid, had gone to Kurar village in the eastern suburb of Malad just after midnight to report on MNS workers abusing and attacking a settlement of people from north India.
When they saw him taking photographs, about 15 MNS activists, including the area’s municipal corporator Vanita Ghag, assaulted Tiwari, an eyewitness said.
Tiwari was rushed to the Bhagwati Hospital with injuries to the ear and some fractures. Doctors described his condition as ’stable’.
Tiwari, who belongs to Jaunpur and has worked for Mumbai’s first Hindi evening paper for 10 years, was dragged by MNS activists inside the police outpost and beaten up, said the newspaper editor A.K. Mishra. The police denied the allegation.
A police official in Kurar said complaints had been registered against the corporator, Ghag, and 14 MNS activists. They have been charged with assault, rioting and causing grievous injury.
This is the second attack on north Indians in three days in and around Mumbai.
On Tuesday, Dharamdev Ramnarain Rai, was beaten in a running suburban train to Mumbai following a dispute over occupying a window seat in the train. He died soon after.
A day before that, on Monday, a Bihari unemployed youth Rahul Raj was gunned down by the police after he allegedly attempted to hijack a BEST public bus with 25 passengers on board.
The series of attacks on north Indians started Oct 19 when workers of MNS and Shiv Sena attacked scores of men from north India appearing for railway recruitment examinations in different parts of Maharashtra.
- MNS activists attack Uttar Pradesh journalist (Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Maharashtrians vs others - rift widens with lynching of Uttar Pradesh youth (Roundup) - Oct 29, 2008
- Fear had already pushed Uttar Pradesh youth towards home - Oct 29, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh youth thrashed to death in Mumbai train - Oct 29, 2008
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- MNS attacks snack vendors after one caught peeing in vessel - Apr 14, 2011
- Maharashtra chief secretary to probe lynching of Uttar Pradesh youth - Oct 29, 2008
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh youth lynched in suburban train to Mumbai (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012