Joshna, Anaka head Indian challenge in Chennai Open squashMay 19th, 2012 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 19 (IANS) Seasoned campaigner Joshna Chinnappa and young Anaka Alankamony will head the Indian challenge in the WSA Chennai Open squash tournament to be held here from May 22 to 26.
The tournament offers $10,000 in prize money besides Women’s Squash Association (WSA) points and has received entries from Malaysia, Australia, Egypt and England.
Malaysia’s Siti Munirah Josoh is the highest ranked player at 40 and the top seed. Joshna, playing in only her second WSA event since her injury last year, has been seeded two as she used her pegged ranking of 41. Her current ranking is 71.
The qualifying rounds will be played May 22 and the main draw action commences the following day with the final slated for May 26.
The winner will take home $1,900 and 350 world ranking points while the runner-up will receive $1,300 and 280 ranking points.
Srivatsan Subramaniam, General Secretary, Tamil Nadu Squash Rackets Association (TNSRA), said: “Like every year, this year we hope to have a fantastic event that will be a breeding ground for our upcoming women players.”
Seven local players who will play the qualifying round will join the following 13 WSA players in the main draw:
Siti Munirah Jusoh (MAS, 40), Joshna Chinappa (IND, 71, PR41), Sarah-Jane Perry (ENG, 60), . Pushppa Devi (MAS, 70), Salma Hany Ibrahim Ahmed (EGY, 81), Carrie Ramsey (ENG, 89), Zulhijjah Binti Azan (MAS, 101), Victoria Bell (ENG, 102), Anaka Alankamony (IND, 106), Jessica Turnbull (AUS, 111), Nouran Ahmed Gohar (EGY, 113), Mariam Ibrahim Metwally (EGY, 165) and Harshit Kaur Jawanda (IND, 175, wild card).
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- Anwesha packs off Fialova in PSA Challenger squash - Oct 07, 2009
- Dipika, Joshna in last 8 - Apr 21, 2011
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- Three Indians in Asian Squash finals - Jun 22, 2012
- Joshna, Dipika in semi-finals of WISPA Challenger - Oct 08, 2009
- Dipika, Joshna in semis of Wispa squash - Apr 21, 2011
- Dipika in semis; Anaka bows out - Jun 28, 2010
- Squash pro tour events in Chennai - Sep 04, 2009
- World Junior Squash: Aparajitha rallies to win - Jul 09, 2012
- Dipika qualifies for main draw of Chennai squash - Mar 03, 2010
- Metwally makes main draw of Chennai Open squash - May 22, 2012
- Anaka, Mahesh head Indian challenge in world junior squash - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: azan, breeding ground, campaigner, gohar, harshit, ibrahim ahmed, indian challenge, jane perry, joshna chinappa, local players, mariam, munirah, prize money, rackets association, ranked player, squash association, squash rackets, squash tournament, women players, wsa