Joseph Caron new Canadian envoy to IndiaSeptember 6th, 2008 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Sep 6 (IANS) Canada has appointed Joseph Caron its new high commissioner to India. He succeeds David Malone.A Canadian government statement Friday said Caron will concurrently serve as ambassador to Nepal and Bhutan.
A career diplomat, Caron joined the Trade Commissioner Service in 1972, and served in Saigon and Ankara. In 1975, he began Japanese language studies and subsequently served three times at the Canadian Embassy in Tokyo, including as minister and head of chancery.
During the 1980s, he undertook private-sector assignments involving China, Hong Kong, Korea and Taiwan.
In Ottawa, he has held several positions related to Asian and international economic affairs, including the G7 summit. In 1998, he became assistant deputy minister for Asia Pacific and Africa, and served as Canada’s senior official for Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.
Until 2005, Caron served as Canada’s ambassador to China, with concurrent accreditation to North Korea and Mongolia, and was ambassador to Japan until this summer.
In 2008, he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the Meiji Gakuin University in Japan. He is married to Kumru Caron and they have three children.
- New Canadian envoy to India presents credentials - Nov 18, 2008
- Canada's envoy leaving Delhi to join Vancouver varsity - Jul 03, 2010
- Chinese president arrives in Hawaii for APEC meeting - Nov 11, 2011
- 'India seeks secure Asia free of terror' - Jun 29, 2012
- Canada's new envoy lauds strong ties with India - Nov 18, 2008
- `Canada must aim to attract top Asian students' - Aug 10, 2012
- Japan's new envoy to China faints on Tokyo street - Sep 13, 2012
- India becoming magnet for Canadian companies, says survey - Jun 01, 2010
- Nepal okays Trans-Asia Railway Network pact - Dec 21, 2011
- Canadian PM heads to China - Feb 07, 2012
- Chinese president, Canadian PM discuss strategic ties - Sep 09, 2012
- 'Public private partnerships to boost infrastructure in Asia' - May 30, 2012
- India's rise will reshape global system, says US - Nov 05, 2011
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- Canada to strengthen strategic ties with China - Jan 12, 2012