Jordan calls for bigger EU role in Mideast peaceSeptember 14th, 2008 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Amman, Sep 14 (DPA) Jordan Sunday called on the European Union (EU) to play a much bigger role in restoring peace in the troubled Middle East region.Jordan’s King Abdullah II, underscored the “importance of the EU’s role” in the establishment of peace between Israel and the Palestinians, when he met Javier Solana, the foreign policy chief of the 27-nation bloc, in Amman Sunday, a royal court statement said.
“The monarch underlined the importance of the EU role in the maintenance of security and stability in the Middle East and the establishment of peace between the Palestinians and Israel, particularly in the coming months,” the statement said.
Abdullah also warned that Israel’s continued building of settlements in the Palestinian Territories, particularly East Jerusalem, “will derail peace efforts”.
He urged the EU to help the Palestinians “rebuild their institutions and improve their standard of living.”
Solana also held separate talks with the Jordanian Prime Minister Nader Dahabi and Foreign Minister Salah Bashir.
The European foreign policy chief arrived in Amman Saturday night in the course of a Middle East tour which also took him to Israel, the Palestinian Territories and Egypt.
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - Jan 07, 2012
- Jordan urges enhanced EU, US roles for Mideast peace - Feb 16, 2009
- US still insists on freeze of Israeli settlements: Abbas - Aug 21, 2009
- Russia and Jordan agrees on energy deal and support to Palestine - Jan 20, 2011
- Russia supports creation of independent Palestinian state, urges talks - Jan 19, 2011
- No talks until Israel meets its obligations: Abbas - Mar 18, 2010
- Jordan, Syria blast plan to demolish Jerusalem homes - Jun 25, 2010
- EU to strengthen political role in Afghanistan - Sep 06, 2009
- Jordan rejects Israeli offer of partial settlement freeze - Nov 27, 2009
- Jordan protests Israeli work near Jerusalem church - Dec 04, 2009
- EU meets in Poland on Palestinian statehood - Sep 03, 2011
- Netanyahu discusses peace moves with Jordan king - Jul 27, 2010
- Three Jordanian lawmakers resign over casino scandal - Jun 30, 2011
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010