Jon Voight gets emotional about Palin’s pregnant daughterSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
St. Paul (Minnesota), Sep 2 (DPA) Oscar-winning actor Jon Voight, mingling at the Republican National Convention, became visibly emotional when talking about the newly revealed pregnancy of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s teenaged daughter.The star of such acclaimed movies as “Midnight Cowboy”, “Deliverance” and “Coming Home” has had a difficult relationship with his own daughter, paparazzi favourite Angelina Jolie.
Voight Monday night quickly attracted a swarm of reporters on the red-carpeted floor of the Xcel Centre, minutes after party delegates had ended the day’s severely shortened proceedings.
A public supporter of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, Voight was airing his political views when asked about Palin, who was named Friday as McCain’s surprise choice for vice presidential running mate.
He called the 44-year-old governor a “breath of fresh air” before himself bringing up Monday’s revelation by the Palin family that 17-year-old daughter Bristol is five months pregnant.
“Like all families, they have their dramas,” Voight said.
Suddenly, Voight’s voice choked, his face stiffened, and he stopped speaking for several seconds. After a moment, he composed himself and continued, alluding to the parents’ concern and fear for their daughter and her future.
Asked if his emotion was because of similarities to situations with his own estranged daughter, Voight said all people and families have difficulties to overcome.
Bristol Palin plans to get married, will have her baby, and the family will move forward. “She’ll get through this,” Voight said.
In a statement earlier Monday, Palin and husband Todd said: “Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. …We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents.”
The Palins said that Bristol and “the young man she will marry are going to realise very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family.”
Palin, a mother of five, is an outspoken opponent of abortion.
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama said Monday that the revelation had “no relevance” to politics. “I think people’s families are off limits, and people’s children are especially off limits,” he said on the campaign trail.
Voight brushed off repeated questions about whether he was a registered Republican, which would make him a relative rarity in the overwhelmingly Democratic Hollywood.
Before endorsing McCain, he supported one-time Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani, who is scheduled to speak Tuesday night at the convention. Voight, though publicly critical of Obama, was reported as saying earlier this year that the Illinois senator was likely to win the election.
The twice-divorced Jolie gave birth in July to twins, her second and third children with movie heartthrob Brad Pitt, in addition to their three adopted children from Cambodia, Ethiopia and Vietnam.
- Piper Palin alleges that the press has ruined her family vacation - Jun 03, 2011
- HBO releases 1st picture of Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin - Apr 28, 2011
- Meghan McCain Writes On 'Dirty Sexy Politics' - Sep 01, 2010
- Bristol Palin paid $262,000 for teen pregnancy work - Apr 06, 2011
- Sarah Plain's husband Todd could be next on 'DWTS' - Dec 02, 2010
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in new movie 'Game Change' - Apr 28, 2011
- Sarah Palin's daughter gives birth to son: Report - Dec 30, 2008
- Taking cue from mom Sarah Palin, Bristol hits public speaking circuit - Oct 03, 2010
- Sarah Palin gets restraining order against her stalker - Apr 15, 2011
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- Palin's teen daughter's pregnancy stirs campaign flurry - Sep 02, 2008
- Sarah Palin to address annual conclave Saturday - Mar 17, 2011
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- Palin's favorability ratings drop to new low: Poll - Mar 17, 2011