Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winningMay 9th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 9 (IANS) Top seed Novak Djokovic overcame the loss of the second set against Spanish qualifier Daneil Gimero-Traver to qualify for the last 16 of the Mutua Madrid Open tennis.
The Serb also had to overcome some problems with the court and was visibly annoyed after slipping twice on the controversial blue clay surface, before powering his way toa 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 victory Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Local favourite Feliciano Lopez, seeded 13th, was unable to give the Madrid fans much to cheer about as he lost in three sets 6-3, 6-7, 4-6 to Jurgen Melzer, with the beaten clay doing little to favour the big-serving Spaniard.
Tomas Berdych, seeded sixth, had a straightforward 6-4, 6-3 win over Kevin Anderson.
Former finalist David Nalbandian lost 4-6, 4-6, to Canadian Milos Raonic while Radic Stepanek enjoyed a straight sets triumph against Australian, Bernard Tomic. Stepanek will now face Spain’s number five seed David Ferrer in.
Number 12 seed Gael Monfils had to work for a three-set triumph over Philipp Kohlschrebber 5-7, 7-6, 6-3 in a match where the Frenchman only showed his superiority in the final set.
Spain’s Fernando Verdasco, seeded 15, progressed, defeating Denis Istomin 7-5, 6-2, while Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka booked his place in the last 32 after a 6-4, 6-7 victory against Oliver Rochus.
First Round: Federico Delbonis (Argentina) bt Albert Ramos (Spain) 6-3, 6-2; Radek Stepanek (Czech Republic) bt Bernard Tomic (Australia) 6-2, 7-5; Mario Cilic (Croatia) bt Albert Montanes (Spain) 6-3, 6-3; Andreas Seppi (Italy) bt Michael Llodra (France) 7-5, 6-4; Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland) bt Olivier Rochus (Belgium) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3); 16-Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) bt Pablo Andujar (Spain), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4; 9-Gilles Simon (France) bt Fabio Fognini (Italy) 6-7 (1-7), 6-3, 6-3;10-Juan Martin del Potro (Argentina) bt Florian Mayer (Germany) 6-4, 6-2;12-Gael Monfils (France) bt Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) 7-5, 6-7 (2-7), 6-3;15-Fernando Verdasco (Spain) bt Denis Istomin (Uzbekistan) 7-5, 6-2; Jurgen Melzer (Austria) bt 13-Feliciano Lopez (Spain) 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4; Milos Raonic (Canada) bt David Nalbandian (Argentina) 6-4, 6-4; Marcel Granollers (Spain) bt Carlos Berlocq (Argentina) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5; 14-Richard Gasquet (France) bt Thomaz Bellucci, Brazil, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5).
Second Round: 6-Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) bt Kevin Anderson, (South Africa) 6-4, 6-3; 1-Novak Djokovic (Serbia) bt Daniel Gimeno-Traver (Spain) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Australian Open: Azarenka eases into second round, Tomic beats Verdasco - Jan 16, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- US Open results - Sep 03, 2012
- Easy win for Nikshep in sub-junior tennis - Aug 13, 2012
- Chennai Open: Paes, Tipsarevic advance in doubles event - Jan 05, 2012
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
- Monfils advances in Stockholm Open as seeds crash out - Oct 21, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Poonacha, Chien score upsets in ITF meet - Aug 28, 2012
- Sania and Paes move up, Bhupathi-Bopanna lose (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: albert montanes, andreas seppi, bernard tomic, david nalbandian, denis istomin, fabio fognini, gilles simon, juan martin del potro, juan martin del potro argentina, jurgen melzer, michael llodra, mutua madrid, novak djokovic, oliver rochus, olivier rochus, pablo andujar, philipp kohlschreiber, radek stepanek, stanislas wawrinka, tomas berdych