Joachim Gauck elected German presidentMarch 18th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 18 (IANS) Joachim Gauck, a former pastor and civil rights activist, was Sunday elected Germany’s new president, BBC reported.
The 72-year-old Gauck, from the erstwhile East Germany, won 991 votes out of 1,232 at a special assembly of MPs.
He has no party affiliation, and replaces Christian Wulff who resigned last month.
Chancellor Angela Merkel had supported Wulff against Gauck when they ran against each other for president in 2010. This time she backed Gauck.
Born in Rostock in East Germany in 1940, Gauck became a pastor in 1965 after opting to study theology when other university course were denied him because of his father’s dissidence and because he was not a member of the communist youth organisation.
His father was deported to Siberia for his civil rights activism.
As a pastor, Gauck held services that preceded demonstrations that eventually toppled the communist East German government.
A father of four, Gauck is separated from his wife. His partner since 2000, journalist Daniela Schadt, will take on the ceremonial duties of first lady.
- Christian Wulff becomes 10th German president - Jul 02, 2010
- Christian Wulff elected German president after tense vote - Jul 01, 2010
- German chancellor Merkel's father dead - Sep 04, 2011
- World leaders congratulate Hollande - May 07, 2012
- German president quits over loan scandal (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Germany's central bank asks race-row member to quit - Sep 03, 2010
- Christian Wulff nominated as next German president - Jun 03, 2010
- German Foreign Minister Westerwelle steps down as German Vice Chancellor - Apr 05, 2011
- Memorial service for Love Parade victims begins - Jul 31, 2010
- German Chancellor Merkel still hoards food 20 yrs after Iron Curtain fell - Oct 02, 2010
- Putin, Merkel, Gates nominated for Chinese peace prize - Sep 18, 2011
- Angela Merkel slams US pastor's Quran-burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- UN reforms, trade ties on PM's agenda to Europe - Dec 08, 2010
- No trust deficit between India, Germany on high technology transfer: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- India, Germany exploring civil nuclear cooperation - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: angela merkel, ceremonial duties, chancellor angela merkel, christian wulff, civil rights activism, civil rights activist, communist youth, dissidence, east german government, east germany, first lady, german president, joachim gauck, london march, mps, new president, party affiliation, rostock, siberia, youth organisation