JNU students vote in union poll after four yearsMarch 1st, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) Voting for the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU) took place here Thursday after a gap of over four years. The results would be out March 3.
Campaigning for the poll ended Wednesday. The presidential debate took place Feb 28. Elections to the varsity students’ union were last held in 2007.
“The debate on Tuesday night was fantastic and stretched well beyond the midnight. I enjoyed every minute of it,” said Surbhi Roy, a student pursuing MA history and a first-time voter.
According to Zico Dasgupta, who contested for the president’s post as a candidate supported by the Students’ Federation of India and the All India Students’ Federation, the results would be out by Saturday.
“As the JNUSU doesn’t use electronic voting machines, manual counting of the votes takes time and they are expecting the results to be out by Friday,” Sengupta told IANS.
Names of four office-bearers and 31 other elected candidates would be announced Saturday.
The Supreme Court suspended the JNUSU elections in 2008, citing violations of the Lyngdoh Committee’s recommendations on polls for student unions in educational institutions.
On Dec 8, 2011, the apex court revoked the stay and relaxed the norms on the candidates’ eligibility and campaign.
- JNU set for students union polls after 4 years - Feb 29, 2012
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Supreme Court clears way for JNU students' union polls - Dec 08, 2011
- Apex court questions JNU on students' union poll - Nov 28, 2011
- AISA sweeps JNU polls - Mar 03, 2012
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- UP to hold students union polls on Lyngdoh panel pattern - Aug 23, 2012
- Virbhadra's son's election to Youth Congress set aside - Jan 20, 2012
- AMU students' union election results declared - Dec 11, 2011
- JNU students union seeks more liberal poll norms - May 03, 2010
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Sedate start to Delhi University Students Union poll - Sep 04, 2009
- After 18 years, an independent is DUSU chief (Night Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- Aligarh varsity promises union polls, students end stir - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, campaigning, dasgupta, educational institutions, electronic voting machines, gap, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, march 1, New Delhi, norms, place feb, presidential debate, sengupta, student unions, students union, surbhi, tuesday night, university students