JKLF shutdown hits life in KashmirFebruary 11th, 2009 - 12:18 pm ICT by IANS
Markets remained closed and public transport was off the roads although a few private vehicles could be seen.
Attendance in government offices was also thin because of the non-availability of public transport.
Reports from other district headquarters of the valley indicated that the shutdown had affected life there as well.
Bhat was hanged this day in 1984 in New Delhi’s Tihar Jail. Since then, the JKLF has been calling for a protest shutdown on Feb 11 each year.
The group has also been demanding that the remains of its founder, who was buried inside Tihar Jail after his execution, be handed over to his relatives for burial.
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Shutdown in Srinagar on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2011
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- JKLF calls for Jammu and Kashmir shutdown - Feb 11, 2010
- Shutdown over alleged rape affects life in Kashmir - Jul 23, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Kashmir paralysed on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2010
- Separatists shutdown affects life in Kashmir - Feb 07, 2012
- Geelani shutdown call affects life in Kashmir - May 14, 2011
- Geelani's shutdown call hits life in Srinagar - Jun 11, 2011
- Kashmir shuts to protest anti-Islam video - Sep 18, 2012
- Yasin Malik detained, shutdown hits life in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- Kashmir shuts down on death anniversary of Maqbool Bhat - Feb 11, 2009
- Another teen dies in Kashmir, 20 hurt in clashes (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010