Jim Christou is Britain’s oldest bartender at 100August 30th, 2008 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 30 (IANS) He is 100, but still going strong and doesn’t wish to call it a day as Britain’s oldest bartender any time soon. Jim Christou started working as a bartender for the Westwood Masonic Centre (WMC) in Welling, Kent, some 20 years ago and has no plans to quit even at 100, The Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.
“I’ll keep going for as long as I can. I love chatting and serving the customers, the club is a second home to me,” he told the newspaper.
“There’s no secret to how I’m still working. I just do normal things, eat normal food and do the shopping,” he said describing the secret of his fitness.
Christou, a former engineer in the Home Guard during World War II, said working helped him keep fit.
“It certainly helps you keep active, and that’s just what I need at my age,” he said.
Ken Richardson, secretary of the WMC, said: “It’s absolutely incredible that he still insists on doing work behind the bar.”
“He loves serving members when they come in. We had a beer festival recently and he insisted on helping out at the door as well.”
“Everyone who comes in loves him. He’s a star,” he added.
Christou retired from his job in 1976 but could not tolerate having to sit idle. He joined Greenwich bingo hall and worked as a waiter for almost 12 years, before associating himself with WMC.
He has been there for the last 20 years but never touched a drink or smoked.
He says: “I just stopped drinking one day because I didn’t want to do it any more. But I won’t stop anyone else, I’d be in the wrong job if I did.”
Christou, the grandfather of two and better known as “Chris” by regulars, has even had a new bar there named in his honour, according to the newspaper.
- Meet Britains oldest bartender whos a sprightly 100! - Aug 30, 2008
- Bartending: New opportunities in the hospitality industry - Sep 06, 2012
- NYU grad clinches Cocktail World Cup - Apr 12, 2010
- Best bartender competition comes to India - Apr 05, 2011
- Behind counter: More women breaching gender 'bar' (Feature with image) - Sep 02, 2009
- Lady Gaga wants non-glamorous life - Feb 22, 2011
- Bottoms Up Beer dispenser fills mugs 9 times faster than beer taps! - Jan 25, 2011
- Brit girl, 15, drinks 152 units of alcohol every week, insists she's no alcoholic - Feb 16, 2011
- Rep. Patrick Kennedy had 6 vodka shots in a bar and he wanted more - May 03, 2010
- Anarkali, shaken not stirred - cocktail wisdom (With Image) (IANS Books) - May 20, 2011
- Tudors Star Rhys Meyers Heads Back to Rehab-Again - May 21, 2010
- Westwood to defend title at Indonesian Masters - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Working memory' key to self-control under stress - May 12, 2011
- Westwood eyes more Asian glory at Thailand golf - Dec 05, 2011
- Westwood regains No.1 golf ranking but Donald falls short - Apr 25, 2011